Need a Headset/Headphone-Microphone set-up suggestions.

Associate
So my Sennheiser PC360 headset just broke and I need something new.

I'm not too worried about a budget but i'm not going to go to stupid amounts.

I don't want anything that's worse than what I already had either the same quality or better.

I don't mind either another headset or even changing to a headphone-microphone combination. I'm purely about quality sound at the moment, so i'd prefer openback headphones and if possible, if the option is a wired one, a pair where the cable is detachable (this is what normally breaks nothing else) though that is'nt really a neccessity for me.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be great. I do a little bit of streaming here and there for the fun of it, so something that has good sound isolation would be nice as I find it annoying enough when I hear other people typing so don't want to do the same thing to others.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Soldato
AKG K702 has even better binaural sound stage than HD5xx Sennheisers meaning better gaming capability.
With good binaural simulation next step from that would be pretty much map showing locations of sound sources.

Not sure what's availability of OcUK's bundle.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akg-k702-modmic-v-4.0-discount-bundle-bu-005-ak.html
But K702 can be had for very good price nowadays.

Uni-directional ModMic is very good at keeping keyboard and background noises low, though omni-directional has better sound quality.
ModMic 5 has both omni and uni-directional capsule and you use switch to select which one you're using.
(depending amount of background noise/need of sound quality)

Detachable cable AKGs can also take V-Moda BoomPro mic with adapter which can be found with this:
BGS 3 Pin Mini XLR Female to 3.5mm Female Stereo Headphone Jack Adapter with AKG Wiring
Though V-Moda is specced as omni-directional, so it's going to pick more background noise.

Soldato
Worth looking at a sound card as well if you're using onboard audio. K702 are a great choice for gaming but they are more difficult to drive than PC360 and similar HD5** headphone varients. Unless you've got a board with top quality audio as much as you can get on a motherboard, then you'll most likely not get the best from the K702.

SoundblasterX AE5 is probably the best choice for an internal card; Soundblaster X G5 for external.

Associate
OP
AKG K702 has even better binaural sound stage than HD5xx Sennheisers meaning better gaming capability.
With good binaural simulation next step from that would be pretty much map showing locations of sound sources.

Not sure what's availability of OcUK's bundle.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akg-k702-modmic-v-4.0-discount-bundle-bu-005-ak.html
But K702 can be had for very good price nowadays.

Uni-directional ModMic is very good at keeping keyboard and background noises low, though omni-directional has better sound quality.
ModMic 5 has both omni and uni-directional capsule and you use switch to select which one you're using.
(depending amount of background noise/need of sound quality)

Detachable cable AKGs can also take V-Moda BoomPro mic with adapter which can be found with this:
BGS 3 Pin Mini XLR Female to 3.5mm Female Stereo Headphone Jack Adapter with AKG Wiring
Though V-Moda is specced as omni-directional, so it's going to pick more background noise.

Yeh I can see them for £113 elsewhere and in stock! What would the tier above those be? I was willing to spend £200 on a decent pair anyway, if I can get a pair that good for only £113 could push it a little more.

Do you know if it comes with XLR to XLR or XLR to 3.5mm, I probably wont get that bundle considering a Blue Yeti to pair it with.

Worth looking at a sound card as well if you're using onboard audio. K702 are a great choice for gaming but they are more difficult to drive than PC360 and similar HD5** headphone varients. Unless you've got a board with top quality audio as much as you can get on a motherboard, then you'll most likely not get the best from the K702.

SoundblasterX AE5 is probably the best choice for an internal card; Soundblaster X G5 for external.

I have the Asus Crosshair VI so it's going to be the best on board sound a board a board will have I guess.

Soldato
Yeh I can see them for £113 elsewhere and in stock! What would the tier above those be? I was willing to spend £200 on a decent pair anyway, if I can get a pair that good for only £113 could push it a little more.

Do you know if it comes with XLR to XLR or XLR to 3.5mm, I probably wont get that bundle considering a Blue Yeti to pair it with.
There really aren't any better from AKG K701/702 level.
Unless you want to go below neutral bass to keep foot steps etc even more pronounced, but removing bass can be done with equalizer.
And game showing sound source locations on map you need to watch would be slower than just listening.
(Sonic Radar hyped by Asus is worser than that)
After all whole point of binaural sound is being able to sense from sound where enemy is to be able to shoot faster than enemy.

Unless otherwise specified all headphones have 3,5mm plug to connect into source.

Associate
OP
There really aren't any better from AKG K701/702 level.
Unless you want to go below neutral bass to keep foot steps etc even more pronounced, but removing bass can be done with equalizer.
And game showing sound source locations on map you need to watch would be slower than just listening.
(Sonic Radar hyped by Asus is worser than that)
After all whole point of binaural sound is being able to sense from sound where enemy is to be able to shoot faster than enemy.

Unless otherwise specified all headphones have 3,5mm plug to connect into source.

Decided to go with the K702, seem to be the best option, get them delivered tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom