Need a new boiler

Soldato
Yes, it has been serviced yearly...

The three gas fitters who've looked at it have seen the exact issue before on this model and all said it's an expensive fix. I'm aware that Worcester do a fixed fee repair but I don't know how many more times I need to say that I don't want to sink money into an already 11, coming up 12 year old combi boiler. If there are models out there that can last a lifetime I'd like to see them recommended?

Anyway, I'm getting the Baxi Platinum 40 fitted later today for £1750 all in so I'll report back on any improvements.
Is that like for like or do they need to do some pipework, just curious as we need to change and move our boiler at some point.

Cheers

Soldato
:D had a quick look into heat pumps but it's a lot of money upfront and then you're relying on trying to cut your usage down drastically if you want anything meaningful back from the government grants.

I'll wait until that's the forced upgrade path, hopefully the technology improves significantly in the next 10 years.

Heat pumps can genreally only raise your supply temperature by 5C, maybe 10C when they're running really inefficienctly. So, if you can run your house on a 10C delta T then they could be OK, but most houses are running a 20C dT with flow temperatures around 70-80C, which a heatpump is completely incapable of achieving. So you'd have to redesign the whole heating system.

So no one sensible expects them to replace gas boilers in "normal" homes. Instead, we'll have to decarbonise the gas network. But for new homes, heat pumps and heat networks are definitely going to become more and more popular.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
11 years for a Worcester Bosch sounds nuts.
To be fair the boiler was not in need of replacement, multiple posts above explained that worst case the thing was repairable for a very reasonable price. The motivation for replacement here appears to be that the boiler was incorrectly specified in the first place…:)

Back
Top Bottom