Need a new chair, budget £400..

Associate
Hey guys doing a bit of looking online and was surprised by the boom in the market of gaming/office chairs there has been since I last needed one, my old current one was from staples 10+ years ago, so which would you recommend for a high, 6.1ft, 15stone guy?

I keep coming across the Herman Miller brand for good back support, but they seem very pricey, are they really worth it?

cheers if you can help me out. Budget £400.

Associate
OP
actually anyone know if Overclockers store is open to the public again? as if I remember correctly they had a few chairs setup to try, and does anyone know of any store that has Herman Miller and other office seats to try, i only really know of Staples. (north west area)

Associate
I know this sounds crazy but best bang for buck in chairs imo is an IKEA Markus chair.
They're obviously no Herman Miller, but for £175 you can't go wrong.

I've had mine for ages and looks as good as new still.

I'm around the same height and weight, so it's probably the best comparison you're going to get, but I find it spot on for me.

Associate
OP
Cheers, completely forgot to look at what IKEA does, plus I can even go in a try it out and get myself some meatballs! cheers

Associate
Hey guys doing a bit of looking online and was surprised by the boom in the market of gaming/office chairs there has been since I last needed one, my old current one was from staples 10+ years ago, so which would you recommend for a high, 6.1ft, 15stone guy?

I keep coming across the Herman Miller brand for good back support, but they seem very pricey, are they really worth it?

cheers if you can help me out. Budget £400.

For £400, the Secretlabs Titan is unbeatable - It's so comfortable and sorted my back out!

Associate
I'm 6ft 1 18 stone and bought a Haworth Zody second hand for 250.. love it. Gaming chairs are for mugs when you can get much better office chairs for less.

Associate
I got a Steelcase Leap V1. I've been using it for over 10 years now, i remember buying it around 80 second hand, its really comfy once you set it up and it helped my back. The only problem i had with it is finding replacement parts in the UK especially the arm pads as the Steelcase sales team always want me to buy their new version rather than selling the parts to me.

Soldato
I too say the Aeron. I've had one for about 10 years and sat in it nearly every day.

I'm a big guy, 6'4" and about 17st. I prefer the C size. I think you probably would too, although you'd probably get away with a B. They feel a bit tight to me. Find somewhere that you can have a sit in one before you buy. John Lewis used to sell them when I bought one, though they only sold the B.

Soldato
Any recommendations about where to source refurb Herman Miller chairs from?

I found mine on eBay. Was a warehouse of furniture, home and office out in Hertfordshire. They had about 10 of them. There's usually loads about if you look. Most often collection only.

Soldato
I found mine on eBay. Was a warehouse of furniture, home and office out in Hertfordshire. They had about 10 of them. There's usually loads about if you look. Most often collection only.

i think “collection only” will be the issue as I live up near Inverness so it’ll be difficult to find anything local!

Last edited:
Soldato
i think “collection only” will be the issue as I live up near Inverness so it’ll be difficult to dimes fine anything local!

There are some on eBay at the moment with postage. You'd just have to bite the bullet regarding the size, as I said, I'd probably go for a C, but the Bs are far more common. Good luck.

Soldato
There are some on eBay at the moment with postage. You'd just have to bite the bullet regarding the size, as I said, I'd probably go for a C, but the Bs are far more common. Good luck.

Cheers I’ll have a gander.
On a positive note I’m 5”9 which means I’m in the sweet spot for the most common size B so that should make finding one slightly easier.

Underboss
im just about to put an order in for a Herman Miller Mirra 2 (currently £688)
my Steelcase Leap V2 which I bought refurbished a couple of years ago (approx £300-£400), is giving up the ghost, so i decided it was better in the long run to get a new one with a 12 year warranty

Underboss
Back
Top Bottom