Need a new NAS drive

Associate
My WD MY Cloud Mirror seems to have given up the ghost as it keeps losing power connection the whole time which is a pain in the butt. There are no updates firmware or otherwise for said nas so must be on its way out
Anyone recommend a decent 2 bay which is quiet- i have a couple of new 8TB drives so not needing storage- mostly itunes stuff with a load of photos as well.

Home use and only really stream to a single ipad or Apple tv budget is upto £350 ish

Associate
My WD MY Cloud Mirror seems to have given up the ghost as it keeps losing power connection the whole time which is a pain in the butt. There are no updates firmware or otherwise for said nas so must be on its way out
Anyone recommend a decent 2 bay which is quiet- i have a couple of new 8TB drives so not needing storage- mostly itunes stuff with a load of photos as well.

Home use and only really stream to a single ipad or Apple tv budget is upto £350 ish

Thought about a G8 Microserver? Can be had cheap and they are nice and small

Associate
OP
does it come loaded with an OS and does it need a monitor to connect to as I only have an iMac and cant connect anything to the screen but need to see the server as a normal NAS drive

Associate
does it come loaded with an OS and does it need a monitor to connect to as I only have an iMac and cant connect anything to the screen but need to see the server as a normal NAS drive

No OS, but you could chuck some free NAS software on, or check out eBay for a cheapo key for W7/WS2016.

It has an ILO port so you can connect on your MAC/Phone, may need a monitor for the initial set up of the iLO however. Connect to TV to do that bit?

I connect to mine now using RDP from my Mac, works fine.

Associate
OP
thx- I'll have to look at this compared to a dedicated NAS such as a Synology as I dont really have the time to fiddle about with something- just need a simple plug and play solution but will give it some thought

Associate
thx- I'll have to look at this compared to a dedicated NAS such as a Synology as I dont really have the time to fiddle about with something- just need a simple plug and play solution but will give it some thought

They are worth the little bit of tinkering, can be had for around £115 with HP Cashback.
I use an SSD in the optical drive bay to hold the OS on, can have 4 3.5 drives then in the cages.

Back
Top Bottom