Need a sat-nav app which takes vehicle size in to consideration

Caporegime
Drove a work van last week, drove through Rotherhithe tunnel, £130 fine. I never drive vans and thought this one would be fine but apparently not.

Luckily the PCN arrived today as I'm doing the same route tomorrow, so now I need an app which takes this sort of thing in to consideration.

Any ideas?

Man of Honour
I'd take the mick but driving an N1 classified vehicle that is approx. 2 ton I've been finding with vans, etc. sometimes the rules and knowing how you stand with them with any individual vehicle is more obscure than you'd think.

EDIT: Incase you weren't aware vans usually have different speed restrictions to cars as well (NSL for most vans is 50mph not 60 for instance) - normally it isn't a problem but occasionally it is.

Caporegime
OP
I'm not sure about vans, but Copilot allows you to specify truck and caravan tailored routes for avoiding restrictions.

Cheers, I'll have a look, caravan should achieve the same I would've thought.

I'd take the mick but driving an N1 classified vehicle that is approx. 2 ton I've been finding with vans, etc. sometimes the rules and knowing how you stand with them with any individual vehicle is more obscure than you'd think.

EDIT: Incase you weren't aware vans usually have different speed restrictions to cars as well (NSL for most vans is 50mph not 60 for instance) - normally it isn't a problem but occasionally it is.

I wasn't aware, no. Lucky escape then! Thanks for pointing it out, I'd have happily driven everywhere over the speed limit without even knowing.

Man of Honour
I wasn't aware, no. Lucky escape then! Thanks for pointing it out, I'd have happily driven everywhere over the speed limit without even knowing.

Most people drive em same speeds as cars and get away with it but if you do get caught out it can be quite a bit more of a hefty penalty than a car in the same situation :|

Man of Honour
All the big names do truck navs which allow for weight restrictions. However they are eye wateringly expensive.

There are some cheapy trucknavs on eBay. But they're not great.

Most of our van/light truck drivers (other than the HGVs which are on a different system) though still end up mostly driving off google maps, bit of Tom Tom and local knowledge hah.

Caporegime
I use Navmii on my iPhone which is excellent at routing - you set it for a Lorry/RV in its preferences, this combined with a Truckers road atlas has (yet) to cause me any issues.

Given I’m in a six axle artic with upto 15’6” high trailers says something.

Basically, you set your route, check the atlas for any relevant low bridges or weight limits and off you go.

As for Rotherhithe, there’s plenty of signed warnings......

Caporegime
OP
I know. I even had to squeeze the bloody thing through those silly barriers and didn't even think anything of it :confused:

Ah well, the fine is getting expensed and I'm lucky it was only a theoretical height, imagine if I peeled the roof off the thing in the middle of rush hour :eek:

Back
Top Bottom