Need a short-term (i.e. no contract) ISP

Associate
We're hoping to get VirginMedia broadband installed to our property but it could take a couple of months. Think the previous tenants were with Sky, so in the meantime we're looking for a short-term (i.e. no contract) ISP with somebody who's ideally not going to charge us £100s for suspicious installation/'setup' fees (given that we can probably source our own cheap modem/router).

Any suggestions? Have looked at PlusNet's no-contract deal so far (strange mentions of 'installation fees' on top of connection fees, even though we already have a phone line installed...) and O2 who promise a free router etc but seem to only offer the no-contract deals capped.......??

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Mobile broadband if it's going to take a few months. BT line rental minimum contract is 12 months.

Associate
OP
Oh snap. No way, not doing that! Don't even want a landline, would only get one to get the broadband. Thanks for the heads-up!

So mobile broadband - what are we talking? I'm already tethering through my phone on 3G. Signal is....okay I guess...... Would I be able to get a better speed if I bought a dongle? Any chance of 4G?

Man of Honour
Will still need line rental to use those - and its possible depending on the state the last resident left it in you might need to be "reconnected" by BT with a fee slapped on that.

Soldato
I'm currently in the same boat, I'll only need 3 months internet before I'm moving address again.

Plusnet want £150 total for that period :mad:

We're quite heavy users too, lots of netflix...

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I'm currently in the same boat, I'll only need 3 months internet before I'm moving address again.

Plusnet want £150 total for that period :mad:

We're quite heavy users too, lots of netflix...

Three.co.uk unlimited tethering.

Associate
We're hoping to get VirginMedia broadband installed to our property but it could take a couple of months. Think the previous tenants were with Sky, so in the meantime we're looking for a short-term (i.e. no contract) ISP with somebody who's ideally not going to charge us £100s for suspicious installation/'setup' fees (given that we can probably source our own cheap modem/router).

Any suggestions? Have looked at PlusNet's no-contract deal so far (strange mentions of 'installation fees' on top of connection fees, even though we already have a phone line installed...) and O2 who promise a free router etc but seem to only offer the no-contract deals capped.......??

Would never use Virgin for broadband they are hopeless in my area Plymouth.
Really really slow downloads constant speed drops because virgin cant cope with demand at peak times.

Associate
OP
Here's another idea - I don't know what 4G mobile signal is like in your area but recently when our internet went out for a couple of weeks I signed up for a mobile 4G dongle with EE. They had a 30 day trial offer with a money-back guarantee, so I signed up for the most expensive one (it was still only like 8GB a month but enough for email and general browsing etc...) then cancelled after about 3 weeks and got all my money back. Bit of a moral grey area, perhaps, but if they want to offer a money-back trial then I'm going to use it! :)

Back
Top Bottom