Need a web designer

Suspended
Anyone know of any small companies / freelancers who do web design? I have a small site which needs some work but I'm rubbish at this so will pay someone to do it. The site is running and working fine, but needs lots of optimization according to Google Pagespeed, and it does feel slow so I'd like to get that done.

Any ideas?

Suspended
OP
Cheers guys, the url is http://forevergaming.co.uk

I've tried some things myself but last time I did any coding it was in Turbo Pascal 6 :p

If anyone wants to give me any ideas or pointers, I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll have to find someone who is a wizz with these things as according to Feedthebot I'm in for one hell of a ride...

Suspended
OP
Crikey, I added that compression code and although the site *feels* snappier (probably a placebo) Google's results are now showing a point less.

This confuzzles me.

Suspended
OP
Ok, I don't understand this at all. I inserted the code according to Feedthebot and it seems to have had no effect at all. Where does HTAccess belong, in HTDocs, right?

This is my HTAccess file:

## EXPIRES CACHING ##
<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/gif "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/png "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType text/css "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/html "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/pdf "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/x-javascript "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access 1 year"
ExpiresDefault "access 1 month"
</IfModule>
## EXPIRES CACHING ##
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization},L]
</IfModule>

Suspended
OP
That's exactly what I added, made no difference. I've sent Anticonscience my server details, hopefully he can help out, otherwise I might have to employ Rashnid from India :p

Suspended
OP
Well I spoke to technical support and they told me that I don't have apache at all, I'm running on Linux with PHP 5.2. Is there a way I can check?

I'm definitely moving hosts, these guys are awful.

To spend? Well, it's all relative really. As much as is needed, within reason of course.

Suspended
OP
Not much, it's only a small community driven forum atm but I'm hoping to expand it a bit, hence why I would like it running smoothly first.

I dunno. I'll continue bashing my head against this wall tomorrow, something must click eventually.

Thanks for the help :)

Suspended
OP
No, just domain hosting. It's only about £9 a month, but if I have to pay a bit more for a better host, then I'm game. I can't be bothered with this lot any more, they're tragically useless.

Now to find out how to do Gzip on Nginx....

Suspended
OP
I won't, thanks for the heads up :)

I'll call Vida in the morning, see how this all pans out. I paid separately for the domain name so I can't see that being an issue.

The only thing is, if I'm running Nginx now and move to Apache, won't there be conflicts?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I've got all my ducks in a row before I make a mess of things!

Suspended
OP
Never knew that, thanks!

I'll add it to my list of things to do / get done, no idea how I'd go about adding space but I'm sure it can't be that hard.

Mystical creature, Adsense. Still, it covers the hosting bill so I can't complain :)

Suspended
OP
Ok just to update this.

First off thanks for all your help and advice, I couldn't have done it without you (seriously, I couldn't have)!

I got rid of Fasthosts and am now with Vidahosts as recommended here. I'd just like to say that their service is beyond excellent. A chap named bruce Taylor has been helping me sort things out as the site went terribly wonky during the move and he has been nothing short of brilliant.

I feel a bit bad for asking so much of these guys but they seemed glad to help so will be getting my recommendation all the time from now on. This level of service for less than a fiver a month is astonishing.

Well done Vidahosts, you guys are exellent!

Suspended
OP
Yeah, that's if I don't bork it again :p

on a completely unrelated note, I've been with Fasthosts for... I dunno, 2-3 years. Did all my hosting with them, numerous sites, email, the lot. I've complained time and time again that their tech support know nothing (dealing with their tech support was like calling a foreign country in the 80s with that dreadful delay, and the people on the other end of the phone were in India so had a thick accent and didn't actually know anything, just asked questions which were on their screen and put my answer in).

I got told time and time again that they were moving to British support centres fairly soon and that it was nothing to worry about. As I only rang them maybe 3-4 times a year, I never really bothered with it.

I just spoke to them a few minutes ago, "hello fasthosts, this is jumal speaking".

"Hi, I'd like to cancel my account please"

"Ok, let me transfer you"

"Hello, James Dhoherty speaking" (fictional name btw).

So as long as you're on the chain, they give you rubbish support based in India but as soon as you want to quit, they suddenly have a UK based call center.

*****s. Good riddance!

Suspended
OP
Hello,

Me again!

I've got an interesting one today. I've added some custom profile fields to my users' profile pages but I can't get the logos to show.

They show up fine in the admin control panel, but I'd also like them to show up on their actual forum profile, like the ones do on this OcUK forum (think ICQ, MSN, etc etc).

I'm proud of myself that I found images, resized them, uploaded them and got them to show in the admin panel but I can't get them to show under the avatars.

Any idea how to do this?

Back
Top Bottom