Need advice on computer fault!

Associate
This morning i booted my my wifes pc, it posted as usual but then the hardrive started clicking continously, at first i thought it was a case of a dead hardrive so to test it out i stripped her pc, cleaned it an rebuilt it with my pc's hardrive in place (which i knew was working fine as i had been on it this morning).

The same problem has occured with my hardrive in, but both mine an my wifes hardrives work fine in my pc.

I replaced the sata and power cables for the hardrive but still same result.

Anybody have any idea what could be causing the problem? only think that comes to mind if the motherboard sata connectors have died since the computer still posts normally.

The hardrives we are using are 640gb black caviar's and the motherboard is Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

So anyone got any ideas on what the fault could be?

Associate
OP
It appears the clicking sound is coming from the motherboard itself, i unplugged cdrom drive and hadd from motherboard and power supply, and still had the same clicking.

Also took out some memory and took out power connectors from motherboard an put them back in, still same problem.

also put an old geforce 7600gt in instead of the radeon 6950 that was in there and still same problem.

Really at a loss what could be the cause now as it still posts, just starts clicking afterwards.

Tested without graphics card in at all aswell, and same response after the initial warning beep to say there wasnt a video card in.

Also power supply in it is a Corsair 750w modular one if that makes any difference lol.

So leaves either broken mobo or processor (which is amd phenom iix4 955 BE) which could be causing the problem, which do you guys think its most likely?

Last edited:
Associate
Could it be the PSU as I have a Corsair HX750w that I bought for a recent new build and that click once just after post and then twice while the starting windows 7 animation is on screen.

I am currently choosing a new one to replace it.

Associate
OP
I uploaded a video of the clicking sound if this helps.

All thats connected in the video is processor memory and graphics card, i unplugged all the case fans hardrives and cd rom drive. so the clicking has to be either mobo, processor or power supply, just dont know which one.

Associate
OP
Got it all working again somhow, i stripped it all down and removeed/cleaned everything and erbuilt it and now its working so no idea what went wrong, it wasnt even particularly dusty as the cases had dust filters on them.

I think it was a psu problem though but no idea what was causing it. Thanks for all the advice offered, if it happens again i think i'll just rma the psu and test with a new one lol.

Back
Top Bottom