Need advice re 8TB media drive SSD y/n?

Associate
Hi all,

I currently have a media drive (8TB WD Gold) which I write DVDs / blu rays to (rarely - every 6 months I'd say).

I hate that it is a spinning drive. I'm contemplating upgrading it to an SSD. Either a Samsung 8TB 870 QVO or the Kingston DC450R TLC.

As I do not write to it often, does it matter if I get the QVO or am I still best getting a TLC nand?

Thanks for the advice in advanced.

Soldato
Hi all,

I currently have a media drive (8TB WD Gold) which I write DVDs / blu rays to (rarely - every 6 months I'd say).

I hate that it is a spinning drive. I'm contemplating upgrading it to an SSD. Either a Samsung 8TB 870 QVO or the Kingston DC450R TLC.

As I do not write to it often, does it matter if I get the QVO or am I still best getting a TLC nand?

Thanks for the advice in advanced.

Wow, a lot in cost just because you don't like the noise. Move it to another room or get some case noise dampener.

Soldato
I'm considering a similar move, just on a far smaller scale. I have a 2 TB 3.5" hard drive and the hum it generates through my Corsair 650D case does my head in sometimes. But this drive is used for non-OS and software - ie: more general data, such as documents, pictures, etc. The drive is also used for torrents and I don't really want to wear out an SSD prematurely by downloading torrents onto it, hence why I keep them on the hard drive.

So what I was thinking of doing is buying either a M.2 or SATA SSD for my general data and using a 2.5" hard drive purely for torrents. I don't really mind how fast the secondary SSD will be, as long it's not stupid slow, cheap and not power hungry. Considering it will have documents on, I was thinking of a Samsung Pro SSD, just for the added peace of mind. The hard drive would be a 5,400 rpm affair, with the consideration of mounting it on rubber strips if it keeps making too much noise for my liking.

Last edited:
Soldato
DC450R is a much better drive since its enterprise grade, should have stuff like tantalum caps for power loss protection and maybe even RAIN and other goodies. iv got 3 enterprise drives now in my system and thats all i seem to buy these days.

Back
Top Bottom