Need Hardware Help

Associate
I have been a PC gamer for a good few years (2004 CS:S) but recently, I started taking it seriously.
I got a decent gaming rig custom built for me by a friend. Here are the Specs

MOB: ASUS P5G41T-MLX3 (LGA775 Socket)
PSU: OCZ ZS Series 80+ Bronze 550W
CPU: Pentium Dual-Core E6600 3.06GHz (I know it's weak):rolleyes:
GFX: Nvidia GTX 560 SE
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
HDD: Hitachi 500GB HDD

If I'm going to take PC gaming seriously, what should I need to know about hardware? (I do not plan on overclocking) What CPU should I upgrade to that would be supported by my motherboard?
Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Last edited:
Soldato
The normal CPU recommendation is a I5 2500k, you don't necessarily need the K version if you are not planning on overclocking but its good to have incase you want to in the future.

EDIT - If you don't want to change the Mobo then ignore the above :(

Also I would recommend an SSD to run windows and your most played games off, the crucial M4 128gb is a good SSD.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The normal CPU recommendation is a I5 2500k, you don't necessarily need the K version if you are not planning on overclocking but its good to have incase you want to in the future.

However I have no idea if that CPU is compatible with your mobo, it may not be with would mean an upgrade there to.

Also I would recommend an SSD to run windows and your most played games off, the crucial M4 128gb is a good SSD.

Thanks :) Yeah I heard that SSD was good for loading games faster.
My mobo says on the box that it supports "Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad/Extreme"
It's an LGA775 Socket.

Soldato
A good CPU upgrade would be a Q6600 or Q9550, or something simular. These OC well and will keep you going for another year or so. Can be picked up quite cheaply from a popular auction site.

Apart from that an SSD may be a goosd upgrade. I suggest a M4. :)

Back
Top Bottom