need headset

Associate
hi guys im on the lookout for a decent pair of headphones for my pc and maybe work with my xbox one x and ps4 pro,
they will go straight into my asus z170 mobo for pc use,
budget under £250 would be nice

Soldato
And is environment quiet or noisy?

That budget gets easily extremely good headphones for gaming.
(and I don't mean gaming branding)

Associate
OP
mic not important as I don't speak or go online that often,
my environment is quiet as its mainly my dog that is sitting next to me as I thankfully have 2 living rooms one for me and the other for the wife

Associate
Check out some Steelseries headset, or if you don't really need a mic. Have a look at some Hifi headphones. e.g. Hifiman, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic.

Soldato
mic not important as I don't speak or go online that often,
my environment is quiet as its mainly my dog that is sitting next to me as I thankfully have 2 living rooms one for me and the other for the wife
Then forget term headset used to sell cheap production trinkets at overprice.
Anyway for that budget you could easily also get ModMic capable to turning any proper headphone to headset.

For quiet environment open design headphone is better.
Besides isolating sound closed headphones also isolate heat more, making them cause sweating more easily, especially if with (p)leather pads.
And acoustically closed design is huge challenge/drag compared to open design.
With binaural recording or good binaural sound simulation (from 5.1 of the game) good open headphones can recreate very nice feeling of being in there with 360 directionality and even sense of distance to sound source.
Also in open design above neutral bass doesn't that easily start drowning detail under it.
Though for best "competitiveness"/details neutral bass is always advantage.

And for example AKG K702 costing mighty ~£110 are one of the absolutely best headphones for competitive gaming.
Its bass actually goes pretty low for open dynamic driver headphone, but it always takes back seat to details unless source signal says otherwise.
K712 is AKG's vision of that fun above neutral bass punch.
Otherwise it's pretty much equal, details just aren't as easily recognized from simultaneous low frequency sounds lowering competitiveness one notch.
Beyerdynamic DT990 has similar fun sound, with little more bass immersion and notch smaller soundstage for little lower competitiveness.
Compared to those capabilities of cheap closed design gaming trinket are like putting head into bucket under water.

If you absolutely hate bass then Audio-Technica ATH-AD700x would be otherwise at AKG K701/702 level.

Soldato
What about SteelSeries arctis 7 or hyperx cloud II pro,
Are either one of those any good?
I doubt any of HypeSeries trinkets are even anything remotely as as good Superlux HD-330 which can be had for fair €30.
Turtle Beach Z60 is total and utter turd compared to Superlux and frequency response of lot hyped Craperia makes Z60 look good:
https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/60...gher-quality-testresults---frequency-response
That's basically how gaming headphones are made: You take cheapest Chinese turd, paint and name it fancily.

And while Kingston HyperXes are made by honestly trying manufacturer, closed design is shot to knees in how easy getting good sound stage becomes.
There simply isn't any sense in gaming brands when going to £100/+ class budget.
Traditional audio manufacturer who know what they're doing and actually spend that money into sound quality instead of marketing&sponsoring BS have plenty of headphones.
Choise is simply in if needing closed design for ambient sound isolation.
And what kind frequency response is hoped for: Bass neutral for maximal details or some above neutral bass for more "fun factor".

Associate
Will a modmic work with an android phone?

I presume I would need a splitter cable?
Does the phone accepts a '3 way' signal plug from the splitter?
Does a std phone have enough voltage to run it properly?

Thanks

now asked in separate thread

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom