• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need help deciding on GPU

Associate
Should i get this..

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-116-zt.html

Or go for a used 1080ti..

Removed link in case it's not allowed.. But basically a used Armour 1080ti for £407

I currently play Project cars 2 mainly. What if when they release Pcars3 they utilise Ray tracing and Dlss and it turns the game around so the 1080ti is slower? Then I'll be s*** outta luck and butthurt to boot

There's even more to consider.. Ray tracing and Dlss aren't in any driving games yet and the RTX2070 doesn't have sli but 1080ti does so could possibly run two. With the 1080ti you get brute force in the here and now but RTX2070 is only a theoretical win...

Opinions please folks..

BTW my CPU is an old FX6300 which currently takes 50-65% usage in the game with a RX580 4GB and is hit and miss at 1440p@60 on medium/high

Associate
OP
The CPU is hitting 65% but GPU is 100% all the time so i don't see why i'd do it in that order. I mainly just want advice regards GPU's regards the topics i've raised. But as you've highlighted this weakness i'd ask.. Are you saying if i upgraded my entire mobo+cpu+ram to Ryzen 2600 i'd see a big difference even with the existing RX580?

Soldato
The CPU is hitting 65% but GPU is 100% all the time so i don't see why i'd do it in that order. I mainly just want advice regards GPU's regards the topics i've raised. But as you've highlighted this weakness i'd ask.. Are you saying if i upgraded my entire mobo+cpu+ram to Ryzen 2600 i'd see a big difference even with the existing RX580?

Whats your current fps in the games you play? If that is good enough, you can compare it to reviews where better CPUs are been used.

Associate
OP
I think if i was going to upgrade the cpu and re-install i'd prob just get a 8 core FX for around £50. The ryzen upgrade would cost a lot more than that

Associate
OP
Pcars 2 is all over the place. Cockpit view hits 60-80fps with medium/low but when the weather and time effects kick in can drop as low as 35-50 forcing me to 1080p. Replays are also taxing and go from 30-60fps depending on what's happening, time of day, amount of cars, weather etc etc

Associate
OP
it would cost around £360 to upgrade to ryzen so i'll prob do that next but i think i'll upgrade GPU first. Can't find any direct comparisons of FX6 vs Ryzen2600 in PCars2 but i'll keep looking. What are your thoughts on which gpu Panos?

Associate
If pc2 is the only game you really play and cpu is around 60/70% with gpu at 100% then I would say the gpu is holding you back at the moment in that game and upgrading the gpu would make a difference, upgrading the gpu will also make a difference at 1440p with other games that use gpu over cpu.

Was in the same boat a few weeks back, didn't know if I should get a 1070ti,1080ti or a rtx 2070....I went with the 2070 and personally im glad I did, im surprised how many games I can play at 4k with this card including bf5 at 60fps average,people put down the 20 series of cards but I honestly think they are great and at least they are doing something new with new technology
even if its not quite there yet.

Your cpu will be a bottleneck in a lot of games though and it would be a good idea to upgrade to ryzen or intel in the future, if you get the gpu though at least that will be one less thing to worry about when you upgrade the rest :)

Caporegime
Go with the newer architecture imo, won't be far off a stock FE 1080Ti once overclocked and you'll get the benefits of the new tech in newer games :)

The CPU is gonna be a big problem though, bottleneck city (but it's worth the GPU boost til you can upgrade that too).

Associate
OP
If pc2 is the only game you really play and cpu is around 60/70% with gpu at 100% then I would say the gpu is holding you back at the moment in that game and upgrading the gpu would make a difference, upgrading the gpu will also make a difference at 1440p with other games that use gpu over cpu.

Was in the same boat a few weeks back, didn't know if I should get a 1070ti,1080ti or a rtx 2070....I went with the 2070 and personally im glad I did, im surprised how many games I can play at 4k with this card including bf5 at 60fps average,people put down the 20 series of cards but I honestly think they are great and at least they are doing something new with new technology
even if its not quite there yet.

Your cpu will be a bottleneck in a lot of games though and it would be a good idea to upgrade to ryzen or intel in the future, if you get the gpu though at least that will be one less thing to worry about when you upgrade the rest :)

Thanks for the input syks. I'm certainly leaning more towards 2070

Associate
OP
Go with the newer architecture imo, won't be far off a stock FE 1080Ti once overclocked and you'll get the benefits of the new tech in newer games :)

The CPU is gonna be a big problem though, bottleneck city (but it's worth the GPU boost til you can upgrade that too).

Thanks dude

Associate
OP
Was looking at a vega64 but then Nvidia announced support for freesync which made AMD defunked especially as PCars2 works better with Nvidia Graphics..

Associate
OP
Would rtxflops at T45 vs T42 make much difference and is this why there's so much variance in price of 2070's?

Associate
OP
But i imagine DLSS would be the perfect solution for cockpit view in racing games with all those needlessly rendered being filtered into what actually counts..

Soldato
But i imagine DLSS would be the perfect solution for cockpit view in racing games with all those needlessly rendered being filtered into what actually counts..

DLSS is for 4k only at the moment and meant to be game specific. I wouldn't base my purchase on it for pcars @ 1440p.

Back
Top Bottom