Need help finding a 4x4 for ~£400

Soldato
My boss has just phoned me explaining that due to several (read: a lot) of issues with our current 'Crash Truck' at work, we need a new one. As the title explains, i've been given a budget of about £400, but if theres cheaper then fantastic. I've found a couple already on Autotrader for about £350, but can't really find anything else that's in decent enough condition.

Anyone got any ideas of other decent places to look?

Soldato
Go on eBay, search for Jeep Cherokees under 400 quid........pick the one with the least (potentially) problems, and some T&T .....roll out.

Mine cost 350 quid with no issues barring luke-warm aircon - and had a long MOT, 2 months tax and a Thatcham alarm/immobiliser. Cruise, ABS, trip computer, tow hitch, PAS, electric everything, full/part-time 4WD/2WD/Low-ratio transfer case - it even looked pretty good in black with beige leather. 190BHP and 220ft.lb too so more than capable of lugging gear around.

Bulletproof too - after I sold it, the XJ got jacked up, put on big tires and used for some seriously heavy off-roading. Still going strong :p :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;15030270 said:
What makes you think a £400 4x4 won't have as many if not more issues than your current 'Crash Truck'?
Well it'll probably start under it's own steam. That's kind of the main issue.

I'm aware I won't be able to find something great, but nothing can really be worse than what we have at the moment.

Ooh, could always take it to a local garage and use the scrappage scheme on it, get a nice shiny truck...

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry to be a complete noob but what exactly is a crash truck? It's not a phrase I've come across before something for generally junk usage where there's no point using anything decent as it will just get wrecked or something actually to do with crashes?

Soldato
OP
I work on a small airfield. If we have a crash, we send the crash truck to it, complete with a 60 litres fire extinguisher. You can see the problem of not having a working one.

Man of Honour
I work on a small airfield. If we have a crash, we send the crash truck to it, complete with a 60 litres fire extinguisher. You can see the problem of not having a working one.

Is this not a job which should be perhaps a little too important for a 400 quid banger?

Back
Top Bottom