need help for a dead rig

Associate
I left my pc running whilst watching tv in another room and returned to find my monitor blank, as if the machine was in hibernation. Unfortunately, tapping my keyboard or jiggling the mouse wouldn't wake it up, neither would turning it off then on again. I could hear the fans turning, so power was entering the board, however, no post beeps could be heard. I opened the case with the power on and could see that the DIMM LED's were illuminated and all fans whirring. Assuming the board had died, I bought new one (Asrock dual) and an Athlon 64 +4000. I installed the new board and used the other components (ram, hdd, etc) from the old board. When I now try to power up, the case fans spin up for a second and immediately switch off. The PSU is an Antec 350w model which came installed with the case. I'm wondering whether this is faulty or insufficient power for the board and components. I have an agp 6800G, 2 dvd drives, 2 SATA HDD's, 1 FDD, a cheapy sound card, 2 case fans and an AKASA Evo 33 hsf drawing power. I don't want to buy a new psu until I'm sure that's where the problem lays.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Associate
OP
Dead rig

Thanks William, I have tried booting with just the 1 hdd connected but with little joy. I did hear a short high-pitched beep when the power was turned on though.

Associate
MrSimit2 said:
Thanks William, I have tried booting with just the 1 hdd connected but with little joy. I did hear a short high-pitched beep when the power was turned on though.

Sounds like it's a PSU problem to me. Put your ear to the exhaust and see if you can hear any noises when it's on.

Back
Top Bottom