Need help - Is it possible to short term lease a PC for my visiting girlfriend?

Soldato
Buy a second hand gaming laptop, she can use it while she's over, then presumably you can use it if you go visit her. Or sell it afterwards for probably no loss.

Caporegime
Honestly there's not. She just gets touchy when I suggest doing stuff that might be risky in terms of her PC. It's the one thing she has that means anything to her, she's also finishing the tenancy on her apartment right now too, so she has no real storage for things and she feels like she has to pick me or potentially doing what she loves....Lose/Lose in her words. I am also not the most technical person (I have assembled precisely one desktop in my life) and if she turns up and i can't put it together with her or we break something I know that falling into a volcanic eruption would be preferable to dealing with the aftermath.

It seems her PC and Twitch are way ahead of you in her priorities. Good luck with your relationship.

Soldato
It seems her PC and Twitch are way ahead of you in her priorities. Good luck with your relationship.

fair point - Another option - package up the main components, bring them without the case, get a cheap £30 case to rebuild.

But in reality - unless she's got 100's/1000's of followers - sounds like a lot of hassle.

Caporegime
Stream with your phone? Plenty of twitch streamers stream with their phones. Like those do it outside live on the street, you don’t need a PC to stream. If it’s temporary just use your phone. It doesn’t even need to be the latest and greatest either. Anything from the last 3-4 years can do it with ease.

How are you going to transport the hot tub?

Just spat out my coffee! :p

In 2019, I bought a laptop with an i7-9750H + GTX 1660 Ti + 512GB NVMe for sub-£1000. Both the i7 and the 1660 score higher on Passmark than the OP GF's setup, and even my setup is slightly dated now. I'm sure it's not that difficult to get my setup even if it's a bit higher than 2019 prices? Stick it on 0% PayPal / OcUK credit.

As for the GF, have you actually met her yet? Or is this kinda similar to having a World of Warcraft GF, but 15 years later?

Also, a few of us are asking what sort of content creator she is?

Associate
fair point - Another option - package up the main components, bring them without the case, get a cheap £30 case to rebuild.

But in reality - unless she's got 100's/1000's of followers - sounds like a lot of hassle.

or stick it on a pallet stuffed with the vac pack stuff which molds around the computer components protecting them (can't remeber what they are actually called) and courier it across.. Parcelmonkey does it for around 200-500 euros from CZ to UK with £1k insured

Caporegime
Depends if it has a water cooling setup really, particularly if it's custom.

What on earth kind of specs do you need for twitch?

He said she has a modest PC with a 1060 so presume not water cooled. Post below mentions you can stream on a mobile phone even, I suspect the streaming itself doesn't take much but maybe the PC is needed for the gaming etc..

Stream with your phone? Plenty of twitch streamers stream with their phones. Like those do it outside live on the street, you don’t need a PC to stream. If it’s temporary just use your phone. It doesn’t even need to be the latest and greatest either. Anything from the last 3-4 years can do it with ease.

I presumed she plays computer games or something? Do some people just fire up twitch and just start talking live or something? I'm not familiar with it all so hadn't heard of homeless twitch streamers etc.. quite a neat way of getting donations tbh...

Caporegime
My girlfriend, who lives in the Czech Republic, is just about starting to gain a little following on her twitch account and is very anxious about leaving her setup behind. She was planning on coming to stay with me for 3 months but getting her PC here is somewhat of a nightmare.
Note for future authors or those imbued with hope in abundance - this is how you start your novel. Instead of going with 'Canada' the author has chosen the Czech Republic, a bold and exciting twist on the customary country or nation when making up a woman one has never met. A swift one-two jab of twitch and living arrangements has the reader giddy with excitement. Is it true (no, it is not), should I care too much (maybe!), and does it show creative spirit (yessir!).

8/10 would continue reading about a made up person with made up problems.

Back
Top Bottom