Need help overcoming or reducing the effects of ADD traits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Hi everyone,

I have been suffering with ADD for my whole life, and now I have hit my college years where studying hard and paying attention to lectures is key to success, it is making life incredibly difficult, and I find myself panicking and struggling to make sense of everything, then when I finally get in a mind set where I am able to begin working, the smallest of things will distract me from what I am supposed to be doing, and then suddenly something will *click* and I will realise that I have been off track. Sometimes looking at the time and swearing out-loud because I have just wasted an hour without realising it.

Of course I do also lose focus mid conversation sometimes, and I forget to do obvious things like close doors and turn lights off because my mind is one step too far ahead all the time, but it is the aforementioned issue which is concerning me greatly.

Does anyone have any advice to offer on how I can overcome this problem, or at the very least, minimise the effects of it and help me to maintain focus for longer periods of time?

It is the internet which distracts me 90% of the time, and I have disconnected the internet before to see if that helps, but quite often I find myself needing the web for research while I am writing...

Thanks all :) Currently facing yet another all-nighter in which I have to complete two large assignments... Should be great fun...

I am also a terrible procrastinator, and ADD and procrastination do not go well with each other at all. So any words of wisdom there will also help. It's not that I am putting off doing the work because I don't want to do it, when I procrastinate I always really want to finish the work, but the idea of doing it just seems impossible. I then spend time trying to mentally justify why I am doing things other than the work...

Thanks all :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Have you ever properly ****ed something up in your life?

I was like this - I still am to a degree - but nowhere near as bad as I used to be! If you keep scraping by regardless/making do with things then you'll likely never change.

Just my viewpoint :p

Wise Guy
Soldato
i happen to suffer from ADD too, according to an online test I did. ADD predominantly innatentive.

I couldnt even read the whole OP to be honest, in fact most threads I just read the title and then post a reply.

Soldato
I have just answered a questionaire and I too suffer from many of the traits.

I actually 'enjoy' being in hospital :eek:

It deprives me of distractions and I can settle and maybe read a book.

I think self discipline has a lot to do with it. Keep life as simple as possible, and don't start a task you can't finish.

It takes me maybe 10 visits to do the washing up due to distractions, which is bonkers really.

Last edited:
Soldato
For the record, I certainly think the Internet is bad for ADD sufferers, I tend to 'flit' from one topic the the next.

eBay-YouTube-Forums-eBay-World of Tanks-Forums-Youtube-Forums.......

Can't be good for either your concentration levels or your mental health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom