need help restoring user profile on XP

Associate
hi guys, i really need some urgent help with this, im not going to bother explaining the problem as i would fail at doing so, so here is a c&p of someone else with the exact same problem

"I had to repair Windows XP as it had become corrupted and would not boot. I booted from the Windows XP home edition and used the disk to repair the system. I told it not to change any files and to leave the files alone but repair Windows. After I was done and rebooted the computer, the welcome screen no longer has the user i was on before but only the new one it made me create while repairing. I can see the user by going to "my computer" on drive C and then open "Documents and Settings". The user is listed there with its documents, favorites, and old desktop settings. The problem is that I want the computer to look just as it did before when it boots up and allow me to log into the old user with all the programs and stuff still there as it was."

k, i slightly edited it to go more with my problem, but it is urgent then i get help on this subject because i really really need to get back on that user, it is extremly important

thanks

Soldato
System restore might do it.

WHat data do you need from the profile exactly? It would be best to create a fresh profile and move all data over to the new profile.

Associate
OP
system restore wont do it as i dont have a restore point

the reason id rather not just move the files is because i have loads programs i have installed that i no longer have access to the installation discs among other problems, but if it is the only way then i suppose i have to do that,

any more suggestions/fixes?

it would be great if i coudl somehow get
XP to allow me to login to the user if that were possible?

Soldato
system restore wont do it as i dont have a restore point

the reason id rather not just move the files is because i have loads programs i have installed that i no longer have access to the installation discs among other problems, but if it is the only way then i suppose i have to do that,

any more suggestions/fixes?

it would be great if i coudl somehow get
XP to allow me to login to the user if that were possible?

Creating a new profile shouldn't effect any programs installed. they'll still be visible in the start menu etc, all your doing is moving things like my docs, desktop, favourites etc into a new profile.

The guide Zap has posted should work great :)

Back
Top Bottom