NEED HELP URGENT!! Comp won't power up!

Soldato
Hi guys just got home from shopping and tried powering my comp up press the power button and get nothing :confused: , no fans spin just nothing! power is going to my motherboard because the motherboard standby light is on, i tried turning the psu off tried powering the comp up with a different psu and still have the same result. Quite ironically the comp worked fine this morning although it did freeze at one stage but everything seemed to be normal, any ideas what's happend? please help as i'm at a loss here

Soldato
OP
rofl babyface *** are the odds? just curious what psu have you got? and which dfi board was it? did u get the standby power led light on the board?

Associate
Psu is a antec neohe 500watt, and it is the DFI Ultra D mobo and yes got the standby lights on, but nobodys home. Bro's got it at the moment as hes got plenty of spares ( I haven't got any ), will update if he sorts the problem out.

Babyface UK

Soldato
OP
hmm kk, i thought it could be a psu problem as everything i see on the net relates back to the psu, but i tried a really old clapped out 400w psu but still get the same problem? i think it could be the psu but not 100% at the minute and just want to check first before i fork out for a seasonic psu!

*note i currently have a Hiper Type-R Modular psu (580w)

Soldato
If a replacement PSU won't help and the motherboard doesn't make any beeps, then the chances are that the motherboard has died. If it was the RAM, the mobo would beep as it would for the graphics. It could be the cpu but that is relatively unlikely. Anything else and the system would work but with POST errors.

When mine didn't boot last week after a re-build I bought a replacement identical mobo and it worked immediately after the swap-out. Had it not done, I could have sent the mobo back under the Distance Selling Act. Becuase it did, I now know that the mobo died so can start to look at whether I can RMA the broken one.

Soldato
I'm wiv Mike....

Its a case of trial and error....First point of call would be the mobo in this case and the CPU.....

Get testing lads....

Let us know how you get on :D

Associate
ok, got it back and psu is at fault, bro tried an old 450w psu and works ok, strange thing is he hasn't connnected the molex power conector or floppy connector on the mobo and it boots ok, when I first built the machine it would even post until these 2 power connectors where on, oh well.

Babyface UK

Associate
babyface uk said:
ok, got it back and psu is at fault, bro tried an old 450w psu and works ok, strange thing is he hasn't connnected the molex power conector or floppy connector on the mobo and it boots ok, when I first built the machine it would even post until these 2 power connectors where on, oh well.

Babyface UK

Yeah the DFI boards seem fussy about this but i got away with only putting the 4 pin molex in and leaving the floppy out.

As for your problum reset CMOS change RAM slots only put 1 in. Strip it down to the essentals to get past POST see what happens

Soldato
OP
hmm well i tried a really old non atx 2.0 psu and that sent power to the mobo but nothing booted so i'm now at a loss of is it the psu or has my mobo actually died? if it is my mobo would getting a identical replacement mean that i have to completely reformatt or could i just set it up and away i go with the existing drivers on my hard drive? (hope i don't need to reformatt as i have a lot of vital files on my hard drive)

Soldato
OP
ok just gone round to a friends house and with the same psu but using his cable it has powered on but i get the 3 led's on the diagnostic i.e. cpu detection :S and it won't get past this stage, any ideas now? tell me my cpu hasn't randomly died on me :(

Soldato
OP
ok so, now i am on my comp again YAY :D but, when it won't boot with 2 sticks of ram both sticks work fine on there own but i have tried all ram slots and i get the same problem. Now even with 1 stick of ram when i go into bios to sort settings out again after saving settings it goes to reboot and i get the same problem everything is fireing up but no screen and have 2 leds on my mobo, so i have to clear cmos bypass it when booting up and it boots fine.

Back
Top Bottom