• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need help with 5900x stability issues

Associate
I would like to know:

1. What is stock SoC
2. What is safe NB SoC for normal daily use (sometimes big CPU load - blender render).
3. Is it better to set SoC constant or offset?
4. Is problem described below looks like a bios or CPU problem?

Recently I did an PC upgrade
i5 2500k -> Ryzen 5900x
Asrock P67 Pro3 - MSI Tomahawk X570 WiFi
Memory
GPU is waiting for the new year (GTX780 currently)

For now, I'm not interested in OC. Such CPU change is boosting my system enough.
But I have a big problem. My purchase was 14 days ago and till now I don't have stable system.

PC reboots randomly.
PBO - off
Checked 3 PSUs
memtest 24 hours passed
I did tests with XMP on and off
Started to think about changing mobo, but it seems that this problem happens on MSI. Asus and Gigabyte (mayby more)
Temperatures at max usually 72 degrees. Sometimes little more at peak.

In blender benchmark in 6th test called Victor.
I tried to run Witcher 3. 4 attempts - 4 reboots
low/moderate load - images conversion (cores used at 10-15%)

Only one solution was to disable Core Performance Boost but with CPB disabled 5900x looses to much performance being locked at 3700MHz

I'm not alone with this problem. There is a topic on AMD community forum.
One guy said that MSI support email him with advice to change NB/SoC voltage from auto to + little offset.

I tried this. It helped with blender benchmark - 2 passed tests in a row. First time.
But it didn't help with normal usage - still random reboots. In blende is much better but still not 100% stable.

My bios at SoC auto shows 1.115V, but I'm not sure how precise it is. On full stock vcore in bios shows 1.4V and in the system 1V so quite a difference

SoC at 1.05V didn't give me stable system. Another crash in blender. I just don't know how high could I go.

Associate
OP
I wanted to describe everything and forgot about those :)
Latest msi bios (it is beta bios)

I use linux. The Latest kernel - 5.10 - It has many ZEN 3 optimizations.
No such a thing like chipset driver installd separately. driver baked in kernel.

It shouldn't be linux problem beocuse on AMD community every similar problem was on Windows with latest chipset driver.

Associate
Presuming it must be a bios issue, as looking at other topics there seems to be a few people having issues on certain motherboards with only beta bios availability

Associate
I wanted to describe everything and forgot about those :)
Latest msi bios (it is beta bios)

I use linux. The Latest kernel - 5.10 - It has many ZEN 3 optimizations.
No such a thing like chipset driver installd separately. driver baked in kernel.

It shouldn't be linux problem beocuse on AMD community every similar problem was on Windows with latest chipset driver.

I use linux with the latest (debian testing) kernel, on an MSI X570-a pro board with a 5950x. Rock solid...
On the A Pro, the difference between the latest production bios and the latest beta seems only to be SAM support, and as I don't have a new Radeon 6000 series card, I though I'd stick with the previous stable/production bios.

Maybe worth going back to that if you're in the same boat?

Last edited:
Soldato
You need to do the following

auto settings on everything by loading default. Even better do a clear cmos to wipe all your settings and go into bios and load default then let the PC boot and train the ram. This is important!!!! You need a clean boot off a cmos in order for the system to train itself. If you start to dial in OC or other settings you will have post issues. Once you loaded default after cmos clear and booted, get into bios and do the following.

Press F7 to get into advance mode and go into OC menu

Leave Vcore on auto
Set RAM XMP (no idea what ram you are using, you said you memtested I assume you have done memtest86 4 pass and al good)
Set Vsoc to 1.1
Set Viod to 1.05
Set Vccd to 1.05
Set VRAM to 1.4
Set CPU PLL to L2/3
Set CPU NB PLL to L2/3

Disable PBO
Enable AMD cool n quiet
Enable Global C State
Enable Gear Down Mode

boot and enjoy.

after that you can go and play around fan curves etc

Associate
OP
I use linux with the latest (debian testing) kernel, on an MSI X570-a pro board with a 5950x. Rock solid...
On the A Pro, the difference between the latest production bios and the latest beta seems only to be SAM support, and as I don't have a new Radeon 6000 series card, I though I'd stick with the previous stable/production bios.

Maybe worth going back to that if you're in the same boat?

Already checked previous bios. No changes but thank you :)

You need to do the following

auto settings on everything by loading default. Even better do a clear cmos to wipe all your settings and go into bios and load default then let the PC boot and train the ram. This is important!!!! You need a clean boot off a cmos in order for the system to train itself. If you start to dial in OC or other settings you will have post issues. Once you loaded default after cmos clear and booted, get into bios and do the following.

Press F7 to get into advance mode and go into OC menu

Leave Vcore on auto
Set RAM XMP (no idea what ram you are using, you said you memtested I assume you have done memtest86 4 pass and al good)
Set Vsoc to 1.1
Set Viod to 1.05
Set Vccd to 1.05
Set VRAM to 1.4
Set CPU PLL to L2/3
Set CPU NB PLL to L2/3

Disable PBO
Enable AMD cool n quiet
Enable Global C State
Enable Gear Down Mode

boot and enjoy.

after that you can go and play around fan curves etc

RAM is Hyperx CL17 3600MHz and yes. memtest86 4 pass

I tried to clear bios witch pins and by removing battery.

Thank you for advice about bios settings, If I will find official voltage values for those settings I'll try them but no matter the result I'm going to RMA the CPU. I think that we shouldn't let manufacturers to sell **** pretending that is a candy.

p.s.
Sorry for my English

Associate
Already checked previous bios. No changes but thank you :)

RAM is Hyperx CL17 3600MHz and yes. memtest86 4 pass

I tried to clear bios witch pins and by removing battery.

Thank you for advice about bios settings, If I will find official voltage values for those settings I'll try them but no matter the result I'm going to RMA the CPU. I think that we shouldn't let manufacturers to sell **** pretending that is a candy.

p.s.
Sorry for my English

Pretty sure your CPU is absolutely fine and it is a motherboard / bios issue. Try the setting that were offered tgo you in the post above and make sure your RAM is on the QVL list. Also is there a official non Beta version of the bios you can use?

Associate
OP
Pretty sure your CPU is absolutely fine and it is a motherboard / bios issue. Try the setting that were offered tgo you in the post above and make sure your RAM is on the QVL list. Also is there a official non Beta version of the bios you can use?
Memory number is HX436C17FB3AK2/32 and it's available on MSI list

As I said. I checked the latest bios (beta) and previous one. Previous is non beta.

About:
Set Vsoc to 1.1
Set Viod to 1.05
Set Vccd to 1.05
Set VRAM to 1.4
Set CPU PLL to L2/3
Set CPU NB PLL to L2/3

I'm not in home right now but I don't remember VRAM, CPU PLL and CPU NB PLL in bios. Are different names possible?

Are there anywhere official voltage values that can be used?
For example, I tried to find SoC and thre are completely differnt opinions. One forum/YT/blog says that SoC should always be below 1.1V but I saw tutorials with values like 1.2-1.3
This is the reason why avoided even touching voltages. @pc-guy has over 2600 posts and I assume that he's know what he's talking about but for me those voltage values are black magic :)

Is there a chance that bios will fix this and everything will work on stock settings?

Associate

As I said. I checked the latest bios (beta) and previous one. Previous is non beta.

About:
Set Vsoc to 1.1
Set Viod to 1.05
Set Vccd to 1.05
Set VRAM to 1.4
Set CPU PLL to L2/3
Set CPU NB PLL to L2/3

I'm not in home right now but I don't remember VRAM, CPU PLL and CPU NB PLL in bios. Are different names possible?

For example, I tried to find SoC and thre are completely differnt opinions. One forum/YT/blog says that SoC should always be below 1.1V but I saw tutorials with values like 1.2-1.3
This is the reason why avoided even touching voltages. @pc-guy has over 2600 posts and I assume that he's know what he's talking about but for me those voltage values are black magic :)

Is there a chance that bios will fix this and everything will work on stock settings?

USing my 5950X and 4 sticks of RAM i run SOC at 1.125 and VRAM at 1.4. To get the best out of Ryzen i have always had to tweak the bios but i would expect a future bios to work at defaults. More info can be found here

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/dgskmm/max_daily_voltage_x570_and_ryzen_3/

Associate
OP
Ok. Will check in home but...
I'm little impatient, and I started to look at bios walkthrough on YT. I can't see most of those settings. There is no vram, Viod, Vccd, CPU PLL, CPU NB PLL.

And maybe you will be able to explain to me why in some people rig x570 Tomahawk + 5900x works and my not. Another guy on AMD community posted info that he has to change SoC form auto to +0.05 offset and his system is stable since then. Mine is not. Do I have the worst possible copy of 5900x?
I was ready to buy Asus X570-e only to check if this will help but it seems that mobo manufacturer doesn't matter.

And this is a thread with sum of all fears:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ryzen/comments/kfz1ik/random_bsods_with_amd_5000_series_processor/

Soldato

About:
Set Vsoc to 1.1
Set Viod to 1.05
Set Vccd to 1.05
Set VRAM to 1.4
Set CPU PLL to L2/3
Set CPU NB PLL to L2/3

this values are exactly what it is called in MSI bios. I have used a number of MSI board.

Vram or DRAM voltage is under the page as you select memory XMP ie OC setting menu after pressing F7.

All other voltages are also in the same place.

the PLL settings are found in the digipower menu. If you spend 2min googling these you will find videos and pages showing you exactly where these are. Also the manual is pretty comprehensive as well

Associate
OP
this values are exactly what it is called in MSI bios. I have used a number of MSI board.

Vram or DRAM voltage is under the page as you select memory XMP ie OC setting menu after pressing F7.

All other voltages are also in the same place.

the PLL settings are found in the digipower menu. If you spend 2min googling these you will find videos and pages showing you exactly where these are. Also the manual is pretty comprehensive as well

You assumed that i did't check or search by my own. I did.
I could find 2
Vsoc - I believe that it is CPU NB/SoC Voltage
Vram = Dram Voltate

And I assume that Viod and Vccd are VDDG CCD Voltage and VDDG IOD Voltage.

I really coudn't find anythind similar to CPU PLL or NB PLL

As for voltage values.
In bios I can see vcore and Nb/SoC values and Dram voltage. Similar to those you said. As for vddg ccd or iod. Bios don't show anything that's why I wasn't sure what to put there since there are no coherent values on forums.

Soldato
You assumed that i did't check or search by my own. I did.
I could find 2
Vsoc - I believe that it is CPU NB/SoC Voltage
Vram = Dram Voltate

And I assume that Viod and Vccd are VDDG CCD Voltage and VDDG IOD Voltage.

I really coudn't find anythind similar to CPU PLL or NB PLL

As for voltage values.
In bios I can see vcore and Nb/SoC values and Dram voltage. Similar to those you said. As for vddg ccd or iod. Bios don't show anything that's why I wasn't sure what to put there since there are no coherent values on forums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9oV69bYQq4
watch this video. he goes in depth on BIOS settings and what they do etc. the exact same board as yourself. top on google search "MSI X570 tomahawk Wifi load line"

Associate
OP
It wasn't stable with advised voltages, but it seems stable (still testing) in two cases:
1. CPB disabled with everything else on auto - all cores are automatically fixed at 3700MHz
2. All cores fixed to 42 and vcore fixed to 1.25V (didn't have time to check lower values). This solution has some disadvantages.
a) Not as important for me - I think that power draw is higher
b) temperature hits around 80 degrees quite fast with peaks around 89. With everything on auto temp was around 72 degrees average and with peaks around 75 or little more)

I dont understand that because with everything set to auto all core boost is around 4200 - 4250 MHz with lower temperatures

Can I change fixed value to override + offset? (I know that I can but could it be better?)
For example 1.0V + 0.25? Does it meat that on idle it's on 1.0V and under any load it will go to 1.25? Or if for example CPU will be under 50% load then voltage will be set to 1.125V?

p.s.
I checked another option. vcore set to override + offset. Override set to auto and offset set to + 0.0125V (my minimal offset).
But when I change vcore then CPB is disabled permanently (works only with auto vcore)

p.s.
I raised RMA with the seller.
CPU is still in my hands because of holiday time so I'm still when I have time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom