Need help with a PCN...signage on the opposite side of the road

Soldato
Morning all,

I was annoyed to find this PCN when I got home yesterday. It turns out that I've turned left into a road that you can only turn left into outside Mon-Fri between 7-10 AM.

Obviously I did drive up the road when I wasn't supposed to, but if you look on Google Maps you'll see that the sign is on the other side of the road. I can't help but think that this signage is virtually useless; it should be on the same side of the road as you're driving on. It's incredibly easy to miss.

I've never driven down this road before. I'm not familiar with the area. I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to notice this sign, never mind take account of it when they're following Google Maps.

Being that I really don't want to pay it, could anyone advise on how you would fight this?

eUnTZNw.jpeg

The road as you approach it:

QZaQInE.png

The sign:

DkEEReC.png

Thanks in advance,

dirtychinchilla

Edit: having seen the below, I'll just pay up.

Sadly you are probably going to have to suck it up. Here is the view from further back, unless they have removed the other 2 signs.

TRBvcuq.jpeg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can't seem to find it. But I'm sure Black Belt Barrister did a video about this same issue on YouTube. Sorry can't remember what he said though but it might be worth searching for it.

Edit: After reviewing the above picture clearly showing a no left turn... You're stuffed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sadly you are probably going to have to suck it up. Here is the view from further back, unless they have removed the other 2 signs.

Had just looked on Google Maps and thought the same thing - both junctions into Inner Park Rd seem to be littered with signage as of the 2022 Street View imagery.

Soldato
Had just looked on Google Maps and thought the same thing - both junctions into Inner Park Rd seem to be littered with signage as of the 2022 Street View imagery.

Yeah I remember a similar thing posted on here a while back when a council changed a left turn into an ANPR monitored junction, initially the council only installed 1 sign directly at the junction entry and lots of people got the tickets voided due to poor signage.

The council then added multiple signs further back and they enforced all tickets afterwards on the grounds that signage was sufficiently clear and sufficiently in advance of the junction.

Soldato
Yeah I remember a similar thing posted on here a while back when a council changed a left turn into an ANPR monitored junction, initially the council only installed 1 sign directly at the junction entry and lots of people got the tickets voided due to poor signage.

The council then added multiple signs further back and they enforced all tickets afterwards on the grounds that signage was sufficiently clear and sufficiently in advance of the junction.
I see people doing it all the time on a bus lane not far from here. They miss more than 5 signs AND red paint (albeit faded) on the bus lane. To think we're sharing the roads with these people. If you get caught after missing all that you should be forced to do a retest.

Soldato
OP
Vote name change to blindchinchilla :D

Hah. More like doesntcarebutisnowannoyedbythefinechinchilla.

I've had two fines in my life before this week, one for parking and one due to driving through another road I wasn't supposed to. This week, I've had a parking ticket and this fine!

My mind is all over the place though - health is up and down, pending surgery, wife's IVF and miscarriage...not good.

Back
Top Bottom