Need help with a PCN...signage on the opposite side of the road

Caporegime
Hah. More like doesntcarebutisnowannoyedbythefinechinchilla.

I've had two fines in my life before this week, one for parking and one due to driving through another road I wasn't supposed to. This week, I've had a parking ticket and this fine!

My mind is all over the place though - health is up and down, pending surgery, wife's IVF and miscarriage...not good.
Damn sorry to hear that dude, hope you guys aren't doing too bad <3

Soldato
Do car navigation systems database have that info, or, even, be able to read the sign (Mr Musk?)

e: could be a benefit of a HU display to communicate such issues effectively

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Signs are easily missed if you're in an unfamiliar area at night, no outs on this one unfortunately.

In this case I have less sympathy as it is fairly well signed by the looks of it, but I think people underestimate how easy it is sometimes to miss even glaring signs if you are driving in an area you are unfamiliar with, especially if you take a wrong turn or something and panicking a bit.

Though my sister got done once doing a U turn right under a large sign saying no U turns, while on her phone, eating a sandwich and right in front of a cop car... and still managed to twist the cop around her finger a bit by the sounds of it as they could have got her much worse than they did. No sympathy from me.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
In this case I have less sympathy as it is fairly well signed by the looks of it, but I think people underestimate how easy it is sometimes to miss even glaring signs if you are driving in an area you are unfamiliar with, especially if you take a wrong turn or something and panicking a bit.

Though my sister got done once doing a U turn right under a large sign saying no U turns, while on her phone, eating a sandwich and right in front of a cop car... and still managed to twist the cop around her finger a bit by the sounds of it as they could have got her much worse than they did. No sympathy from me.

Yeah it's completely my mistake, but as you say, if you've never driven somewhere before sometimes it can be a bit bewildering!

Soldato
Do car navigation systems database have that info, or, even, be able to read the sign (Mr Musk?)

e: could be a benefit of a HU display to communicate such issues effectively

Google maps and Waze do. They know the correct entry points and will take you right to the doorstep, including walking up the garden path.

Apple maps is pretty flakey with this stuff. The built-in systems are never very accurate either. I especially wouldn't trust a Tesla to make the right call, their software is Bethesda grade glitchy :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Google maps and Waze do. They know the correct entry points and will take you right to the doorstep, including walking up the garden path.

Apple maps is pretty flakey with this stuff. The built-in systems are never very accurate either. I especially wouldn't trust a Tesla to make the right call, their software is Bethesda grade glitchy :D

Yeah it's weird, I was using Google Maps so I was also surprised that I was sent down there.

Associate

Can't rely on it though. Google Maps will happily tell you to take a road near me that is buses only between certain hours, during those hours, with no warning.

Associate
Yeah it's completely my mistake, but as you say, if you've never driven somewhere before sometimes it can be a bit bewildering!

If you have never driven an area before it makes sense to be more careful in checking for cameras and road restrictions.
Also drive a little slower in order to improve the chances of observing signs rather than whizzing past them.

Again, no sympathy, still bleating like a lamb, pay the fine before it doubles and stop whingeing.

Soldato
OP
If you have never driven an area before it makes sense to be more careful in checking for cameras and road restrictions.
Also drive a little slower in order to improve the chances of observing signs rather than whizzing past them.

Again, no sympathy, still bleating like a lamb, pay the fine before it doubles and stop whingeing.

Do one!

Last edited:
Soldato
If Waze would have excluded the route, albeit also owned by google , compare to native google, then I'd be sold, for the Met badlands or unfamiliar/foreign terrain - Wales, France ....
equally a plus for a car with that traffic sign recognition/ADAS

Associate
If Waze would have excluded the route, albeit also owned by google , compare to native google, then I'd be sold, for the Met badlands or unfamiliar/foreign terrain - Wales, France ....
equally a plus for a car with that traffic sign recognition/ADAS

I have a congestion / emissions charge pending from Bologna back in October where we missed the TRAFFIC LIMITADO sign following Google Maps :(

Dup

Dup

Soldato
As a country boy I'm completely baffled at a road being restricted during certain hours. Are you supposed to enter the area from somewhere else? Also, would they have to manually review every car from the footage? Seems like a job worse than that of a parking warden. Seems like a lot of costly infrastructure for a couple of left turns.

Soldato
As a country boy I'm completely baffled at a road being restricted during certain hours. Are you supposed to enter the area from somewhere else? Also, would they have to manually review every car from the footage? Seems like a job worse than that of a parking warden. Seems like a lot of costly infrastructure for a couple of left turns.

You do get them in rural villages as well. But people ignore them as there are no cameras.

This stuff plagues some cities though. The road network in them has clearly been rigged to generate revenue from fines for the local councils.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom