Need inspiration for a job!

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Hi All

I'm looking for a little insipiration and in sight into other jobs/careers that I potentially would never have even thought of otherwise.

A little background first as to what I have been doing/currently doing. I've worked in some capacity since I was about 15, mainly in retail (which I hated) as weekend jobs throughout school/college. I did an AVCE in IT at college, just about scraped through that due to family issues at the time and ongoing mental health issues. I couldn't afford to go to Uni and after the time I had at college, didn't feel like that type of education worked for me. Then I just picked up what jobs I could out of college for a year (Pawnbroker/System builder for a computer retailer), until I reached 19. I then managed to get an apprenticeship with BT - now Openreach. That came with the opportunity to study for a BTEC National Certificate in Telecoms which I completed with a merit/merit after 2 years. After the apprenticeship I basically ended up in the role I'm currently doing and have been in for around 17 years, which is basically working in the telephone exchanges.

It's a job I actually like, it suits me and my personality type perfectly. I simply pick up my work for the day in a morning and go about it on my own until I finish. I don't really have to interact with anybody and I'm left alone to just get on with it, which is perfect for me as I'm currently awaiting a formal assessment for autism. I'm extremely introverted and anything social is exceptionally draining for me. I'm much better working by myself with no distractions etc. 3 years ago I also reduced my hours (down to 28) as I became an unpaid carer for my Mom. Over the last 18 months there has been a lot of talk coming from management above about the decline in the amount of work coming in for the team I work in, and there have already been 2 or 3 voluntary redundancy packages offered to our team in that time. So the days are numbered for the role I currently work in. Estimates are anywhere from 2 - 5 years before it's completely finished.

So I'm just looking at other options both in and outside of the company. The roles inside the company that are currently on offer aren't really ones that suit the way I work. Maybe there will be more suitable roles in the future, but I think it's prudent to also look outside as well.

I do have concerns my potential autism may scupper any chances of finding another job, as who wants to employ someone who struggles to communicate without being totally burnt out afterwards? And also my hours would need to be restricted to allow me to continue caring for my Mom, which I feel is another thing against me.

Ideally I think something WFH would be benficial as it will help with the carer side of my life and also I can control the environment I work in (on my own, quiet, no distractions etc) On the other hand I don't fancy staring at a screen all day either!

So does anyone else here suffer from autism and/or are introverted? If so, what roles do you do and what do they involve? What's the path I would need to take to get into these roles etc.

Many thanks

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
Sounds like you have an good technical engineering background. Have you thought about something like Network Engineering?

It was on my radar as I've been looking at CCNA recently and it would be a more natural progression and something I may be able to use both within and outside the company if need be.

Unfortunately however, all the stuff I learnt in the BTEC was 17 years ago and isn't really used in the role I'm in. I'm really out of the loop as my role is unique to Openreach really, and it's now a legacy role.

Soldato
It was on my radar as I've been looking at CCNA recently and it would be a more natural progression and something I may be able to use both within and outside the company if need be.

Unfortunately however, all the stuff I learnt in the BTEC was 17 years ago and isn't really used in the role I'm in. I'm really out of the loop as my role is unique to Openreach really, and it's now a legacy role.

If you have about 2 - 5 years in your current role, its a good time to learn some new skills. CCNA would be a good start, as you said something you be able to use both within and outside the company. It will open a few doors for you.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
Ok so a slight update on this. The timescale has shifted significantly (in the wrong direction)

We've had a teams call Monday just gone. It was basically to say works slowing up quicker than expected. Here is a 2 question preference exercise about working out in the field (climbing poles, working in the underground network, at customers etc) or you can apply to take a voluntary leavers package (a month for every year you've been with the company, up to a max of 12) so that would mean a full 12 months salary tax free as I've been with them 19+ years.

Now the external roles they mention are of no interest to me. I've been there, done that and hated every second of it, it made me utterly miserable. So I'm thinking I'll have no other option than to take the leavers package option. Not the best time with the way the jobs market and economy are heading though. Financially I could probably survive for 18 months, possibly a bit longer on the lump sum I'd get. I've already got the ball rolling on the CCNA side. I'm awaiting for the books to turn up and I'm brushing up on network basics so I'm not going in unprepared!

I've got until 5th of December to decide whether to apply for leavers. There is no guarantee I will actually get it, but in the past I've not known anyone be rejected. However with my anxiety/autism I'm not sure whether it would be the best decision to leave, but I really can't face being placed in a role that truly made me utterly miserable. Equally it's extremely daunting thinking about having to do CV's and interviews again! The last CV and interview I had was for my current role nearly 20 years ago!

I am however happy and eager to learn new skills, like this CCNA, because I need to start using my grey matter again. However things like not having a degree etc, is really concerning when you see it as a requirement in so many job adverts. I wouldn't have the foggiest what to do in an interview these days either, as they seem to have changed so much.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so a slight update on this. The timescale has shifted significantly (in the wrong direction)

We've had a teams call Monday just gone. It was basically to say works slowing up quicker than expected. Here is a 2 question preference exercise about working out in the field (climbing poles, working in the underground network, at customers etc) or you can apply to take a voluntary leavers package (a month for every year you've been with the company, up to a max of 12) so that would mean a full 12 months salary tax free as I've been with them 19+ years.

Now the external roles they mention are of no interest to me. I've been there, done that and hated every second of it, it made me utterly miserable. So I'm thinking I'll have no other option than to take the leavers package option. Not the best time with the way the jobs market and economy are heading though. Financially I could probably survive for 18 months, possibly a bit longer on the lump sum I'd get. I've already got the ball rolling on the CCNA side. I'm awaiting for the books to turn up and I'm brushing up on network basics so I'm not going in unprepared!

I've got until 5th of December to decide whether to apply for leavers. There is no guarantee I will actually get it, but in the past I've not known anyone be rejected. However with my anxiety/autism I'm not sure whether it would be the best decision to leave, but I really can't face being placed in a role that truly made me utterly miserable. Equally it's extremely daunting thinking about having to do CV's and interviews again! The last CV and interview I had was for my current role nearly 20 years ago!

I am however happy and eager to learn new skills, like this CCNA, because I need to start using my grey matter again. However things like not having a degree etc, is really concerning when you see it as a requirement in so many job adverts. I wouldn't have the foggiest what to do in an interview these days either, as they seem to have changed so much.

Take the leave package, knuckle down, study and get the CCNA cert. Get other certs along the line to boost your skill-set once you got the CCNA.

Dont worry about not having a degree. I dont have one either and worked in plenty of jobs having an degree was an requirement or nice to have. Its another artificial requirement.

Soldato
I agree with @malachi. I suggest you particularly target local authorities and the NHS as prospective employers as they will be more accommodating.

When job-hunting, if you've not been employed for more than 6 months, be prepared to demonstrate that you've not been in prison.

Last edited:
Reactions: ljt

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
Take the leave package, knuckle down, study and get the CCNA cert. Get other certs along the line to boost your skill-set once you got the CCNA.

Dont worry about not having a degree. I dont have one either and worked in plenty of jobs having an degree was an requirement or nice to have. Its another artificial requirement.
Thanks for that. Which other certs do you mean? As in the other Cisco modules like security? Or outside the Cisco "family"?

And wrt degrees. I take it you still applied to jobs that mentioned one as a requirement then?

I agree with @malachi. I suggest you particularly target local authorities and the NHS as prospective employers as they will be more accommodating.

When job-hunting, if you've not been employed for more than 6 months, be prepared to demonstrate that you've not been in prison.

Thanks. I'd never even thought about LA and NHS, good shout.

And wrt unemployed time. I'm happy to do almost anything part time while I'm learning the certs. Unless I could study full time for the certifications to get them quicker, but I'm not sure of timescales as this has all happened a lot sooner than I was expecting.

Soldato
Thanks for that. Which other certs do you mean? As in the other Cisco modules like security? Or outside the Cisco "family"?

And wrt degrees. I take it you still applied to jobs that mentioned one as a requirement then?
Look at cyber security such as Cisco Cyber Ops, this will go nicely with your CCNA. This exam I be doing next year.

AWS and Azure are the most popular Cloud providers, study for at one of them.

I have been on and off job hunting for the past 18 months, I apply for any job which I fit 90% of the requirements. Compared to 10 years ago, I am seeing less and less job requirements for degrees in IT.

Reactions: ljt
Caporegime
I do have concerns my potential autism may scupper any chances of finding another job, as who wants to employ someone who struggles to communicate without being totally burnt out afterwards? And also my hours would need to be restricted to allow me to continue caring for my Mom, which I feel is another thing against me.

Ideally I think something WFH would be benficial as it will help with the carer side of my life and also I can control the environment I work in (on my own, quiet, no distractions etc) On the other hand I don't fancy staring at a screen all day either!

I wouldn't worry too much about autism in IT tbh! :D If the issue is you get burned out communicating then you're just going to have to suck it up a bit for interviews but aim for roles where that isn't too much of an issue.

Big employers often state something about how they can make accommodations during the interview process so look out for things like that, there are also schemes like this:

There's a list of employers on there signed up to that thing, I think they're supposed to try to offer you an interview (and make accommodations) if you're disabled. I guess you're not "officially" diagnosed though so you'd perhaps better find out for sure first.

As for part-time work, that shouldn't necessarily be an issue, anywhere that employs women who have kids ought to equally be able to cater to anyone else with caring responsibilities. Hybrid work is quite common these days too, it's probably a bad move to start a new role 100% remotely (unless the organisation is almost fully remote), you likely want to be in an office more often initially to meet colleagues etc.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
Ok an update on this. I didn't take the package at the end of last year. I decided to hold on and put my feelers out where I currently work, ask for support to look into other areas of the company etc (i.e. BT Networks, IT side of the business, even EE) Those above weren't interested in the slightest. The only thing they were interested in doing was trying to train me to climb poles and work on the fibre network outside, which I'm really not interested in doing when I'm now within spitting distance of 40 years old.

So fast forward to April this year and they offered the same preference exercise as last year - to either train to be a fibre installer or take a voluntary leavers package (redundancy in all but name) So I took the package. I'm due to leave at the end of July.

In the mean time I've had a look at the CCNA course I purchased on Udemy at the end of last year. Bear in mind, I'm coming at it from a none networking background though. The Jury is out as to whether it will interest me, but I'll persevere and see if I grow to like it. I've also bought another course on Udemy - CompTIA A+ as it seemed to cover a wide variety of IT subjects which might give me an idea of where I want to focus on. My only IT exposure is really a VCE in ICT course I did in college over 20 years ago. I do enjoy building and fixing PC's though but that is about as much IT as I've done over the years.

In all honesty I'm not sure what I really want to do, or where to go from here. I don't know whether to stay within telecoms, try IT or try something completely different. My head is in a bit of a mess and my brain seems to have turned into scrambled egg, so the first thing after finishing at the end of July is to get my head in some sort of working order, because at the moment I can't absorb much information. The anxiety/depression is just stopping my brain from functioning.

Soldato
Ok an update on this. I didn't take the package at the end of last year. I decided to hold on and put my feelers out where I currently work, ask for support to look into other areas of the company etc (i.e. BT Networks, IT side of the business, even EE) Those above weren't interested in the slightest. The only thing they were interested in doing was trying to train me to climb poles and work on the fibre network outside, which I'm really not interested in doing when I'm now within spitting distance of 40 years old.

So fast forward to April this year and they offered the same preference exercise as last year - to either train to be a fibre installer or take a voluntary leavers package (redundancy in all but name) So I took the package. I'm due to leave at the end of July.
I'm sorry that you're finding yourself in this situation, and hopefully you'll get a good redundancy package that can support you and your family until you find your feet again. Feel free to ask for help or advice if anything comes up.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
I'm sorry that you're finding yourself in this situation, and hopefully you'll get a good redundancy package that can support you and your family until you find your feet again. Feel free to ask for help or advice if anything comes up.
Thanks. The package is good. It's a years money so financially that alone would last me at least18 months without even touching any savings I have. Thankfully I don't live a lavish lifestyle! So my outgoings are relatively low.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
There you go -

Don't hesitate though get the application started thos weekend as they will be pausing the process from Monday for any new applications.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Are you in ATC?

It sounds a very stressful job and shift patterns are erratic which wouldn't be very helpful as I'm also a carer for my Mom (as mentioned in my opening post) so flexibility of hours and location of job is important.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
Well I finished 31st July, but my Moms health took a nose dive so I haven't really had time to do anything work related the last couple of weeks. My CV is now up to date and I've joined LinkedIn and Indeed, but that's about it so far.

Speaking of being a carer. I was told by a friend not to mention this on my CV as it will just give employers and easy way to stick me in the "No" pile. So at what point do you mention it? At interview? If companies are going to be funny like that about being a carer then I wouldn't want to work for them.

Associate
In this current job market the employers have a bit more power - you are best off avoiding anything during the interview process that would get in the way of giving the impression you're a 100% productive employer. This includes anything outside of work commitments that could be a reason you cant make it into the office that day or have to leave early etc. Obviously its entirely up to you however that's the way it is currently even in the Midlands where we do have a lot of job vacancies still.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
But they will soon find out that I will need flexibility so I prefer being honest with them as soon as possible so expectations can be realistic.

I was just under the impression if I withheld that information then suddenly drop it on them once I'd started a job it would look worse than being upfront with them.

Associate
You need to think about it from their point of view as well though - they want someone to do a job not 90% of a job. You can maybe test the water carefully during the interview to work out if this company is a good fit for you're availability - asking about office culture, what "normal" hours that people do etc but you need to think about selling yourself as it's a big risk hiring people from their view point. IF they ask you a direct question about it, then don't lie! I hope you get a decent place soon!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom