Need More Career Advice (sorry :( )

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I'm in need of some serious advice regarding my career. I began working for a firm as a student placment this was just over 3 years ago now.

During my placement I rewrote their internal intranet. They offered me a perminant position within the department within 3 months of me being there which i obviously accepted. After an extended 18 month long placment i went back to uni for 9 months to finish my degree, finished it, and returned back to the firm i had been working for.

The firm we're working for has doubled in size since i started. As soon as i returned i had development project after project lined up, none of which have been done yet. I returned 14 months ago.

All i have been doing is 14 months worth of support. I'm good at support, i'd like to think i'm really good but confidence etc stops me from believing so!

Anyway my issues became apparent when I was asked "whatever happened to project x"....by a boss. I explained it hadn't been touched because of lack of time, i then got a little shirty and explained i had requested him for time to do it but it had never been given to me, secondly it was made near impossible to get anywhere with it because as soon as I began the 2 support guys would start banging around and acting like complete ******* because their work load, as i've since found out doubled!

Anyway 3 months ago i'd had enough, I began looking around for work, sent off one CV to a consultancy firm and got an interview right away.....i think i may have gone into this now in another thread...i promise you this one is slightly different!

So yes this interview came, they were really keen. The day i was asked back for a 2nd interview i found out that we were getting more support people in, so i could eventually start working to the job title i'd had for 18 months "IT Developer" and all those projects like i'd originally wanted to......so i thought things weren't that bad and that i'd give the place a chance with these new people, so i stupidly stupidy got freaked out and told the people i was due an interview with i had an offer elsewhere.

One of the guys was alright. The other one turned out to be a muppet, the muppet didn't have any outlook skills and was lacking in every way possible. In fairness though he has started to slowly learn and i mean very very slowly.

These guys were meant to be taking all the support from me, two people to cover the work i was doing. Problem is, as you'll be aware by now they're not capable! Well one of them isn't. The first is now officially in charge of our helpdesk system, if he assigns anything to me and they're busy i should be doing it. There have been a number of occasions where they're doing nothing, i'm witnessing them doing nothing, the helpdesk shows they're not yet i'm getting assigned jobs like "fix phone system" i've never EVER supported a phone system in my life anyway!!! etc etc it all goes on and becomes a complete bore...

SO as of this moment, i'm looking for employement again. I'm scared to death though, this was my first "real" job, i've been here since i was 19, i'm now 23. I'm just worried i've been conditioned to the environment and that i've got nothing to offer people

I'm increasing scared of being out of work for any length of time, say if i was employeed on a trial basis and let go? I've got loan payments to make, rent etc. If i don't get paid once i'm in trouble.

I'm at a loss what to do, whether i should just be unhappy on a daily and nightly basis or whether i should just stress myself out and go for it! It's not like its a job
anymore, its affecting my personal life, i'm genuinly depressed about it, I just don't know what to do.

I'm not even sure what line of work i should now go in for.

(sorry about spelling etc i'm doing this from work though! don't want to get caught!)

Man of Honour
Reassign the problems you shouldn't be dealing with back to them :shrug:

This is going to sound a little off but I don't mean it that way, but it doesn't sound at all like you've stuck up for yourself. Seems like people are rolling over you and you're letting them...

Suspended
Yes, you need to stand up for yourself. If you push them and threaten to leave you may get results, but the truth is that it hasn't changed in a long time and is unlikely to.

If I were you I would try and save what I could over 2-3 months of wages while looking for another job. Thats another month plus one of notice. By then you should have another one lined up, and if you dont, you have a small amount of money to bump up a minimum wage job, easily gotten in the interim.

There are plenty of companies with their acts sorted out and if you play on the skills and the multitasking you have done in the last few years, they will surely notice you are a hard worker :)

DHR

DHR

Soldato
OP
Gilly said:
Reassign the problems you shouldn't be dealing with back to them :shrug:

This is going to sound a little off but I don't mean it that way, but it doesn't sound at all like you've stuck up for yourself. Seems like people are rolling over you and you're letting them...

This is the thing, the director has told me to do these things once i've assigned them back? Which means i'm kind of stuck doing them. What winds me up more than anything is i'm constantly working my arse off (bar now :p) while they're doing simple little jobs. They never get the opportunity to learn the more complicated ones either, the one that made me go through the roof today was a simple word task that was meant to be too difficult for these new guys. So i emailed one of them said look i'll show you how to do this, you know give him a little training etc........i then get a roasting for passing jobs back? WTF???

Back
Top Bottom