Need recommendations for Android phone for wife

Soldato
As the title suggests, I need to get the wife a new phone.

Budget up to £250. Would like a new phone as opposed to second hand and must be Android.

She uses it mainly for communicating on social media, banking etc. A reasonable camera if possible. She doesn't need huge amounts of storage, she doesn't listen to music or watch movies on it.

Currently has an old Oppo phone which is 2-3 years old and has served her well.

Would appreciate some suggestions please.

Soldato
Moto G8 plus?

A good choice if you want a well known brand. I’ve got the G8 Power and love it but appreciate it may not be the best bang for the buck. Chinese phones tend to be better bang for the buck and Motorola are a division of Lenovo who are a Chinese company anyway.

Soldato
The Motorola Moto G8 Power has the best battery at 5000mah followed by the Realme 6 with 4300mah. The Pixel 3a has a 3000mah battery. So if battery life is important maybe worth noting.

Associate
That’s similar to the Realme 6 I linked to, Chinese bang for your buck model.

similar but 10 lite has more RAM and a more powerful 7nm 5g chipset that is better on battery, the realme does have a 90hz oled and probably has the edge in photos going by reviews, the MI seems great to me though, gcam port will no doubt be the solution as it is with a lot of phones.

It'd be worth going for the bigger realme 6 which has 8gb vs 4gb of the one you have linked, 4Gb is a bit low.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Pixel 3a from VOXI (as mentioned above) would get my vote.

It’s hands down got the best camera of any other phone mentioned in this thread.

Soldato
Depends how much you value the camera. I still think a proper camera is better than a mobile.

Of course a proper camera is better, but the OP mentioned that the camera was an important consideration when it came to the phone his wife was buying. The best camera is the one that’s in your pocket etc etc

The Pixel 3a will be fast enough, smooth enough, free of bloat and well-supported compared to most Androids.

Soldato
The Pixel 3a will be fast enough, smooth enough, free of bloat and well-supported compared to most Androids.

The Motorola Moto G8 Power is as fast, pretty much free of bloat and will be well supported by Motorola. It has a bigger battery but inferior camera. Depends what you value most battery or camera. Or stick your two fingers up at either model and go Chinese.

Soldato
There’s also a considerable size difference between the g8 and the 3a, which may be just as important as camera and battery life, depending on the user.

Soldato
There’s also a considerable size difference between the g8 and the 3a, which may be just as important as camera and battery life, depending on the user.

Yeah the 3a has a 5.6” screen and the 3a XL has a 6” screen. The G8 Power has a 6.4” screen.

Soldato
My better half just bought an Oppo A9 2020 for ~£170, after agonising for several weeks for sub £200 mobile, mainly wanting a decent 48MP camera model. It's her first Android mobile, replacing a ~10 year old Microsoft Lumia.

Depending on what the situation is now with 5g in the UK, after Boris recently said any Huawei 5g masts erected before Jan 2021 must be replaced by some time in 2027, I'd be definitely thinking about that "Mi 10 Lite 5g" model if you live somewhere with existing or upcoming 5g signal.

Back
Top Bottom