Need some advise on pump

Associate
hi guys

guys i have problem i think cant get my head around because it my first time water cooling and wasn't sure about inlets and outlets on the pump and if i need more then one pump, dual loop because i dont know if th d5 is strong enough may have some restriction in that loop i l explain further of what im trying to achieve in my project.

basically i have the cosmos2 i m going to put 360 rad at top and 2 dual rads at bottom.

the motherboard is going to be the Asus formula thuderfx the one with 2 barbs for the mosfit.

the ek res 150 is going to sit on the left side of the illuminated acrylic which is going to have water channel in the mid plate it self.

the res is going to have feed on top it

the outlet is going to go through the acrylic water channel and exits into one of the rads and out into the d5 pump and then back in the second rad and then straight up to the 360 at the top inlet back out the outlet in the inlet mosfit (top of cpu end) and then out of outlet of mosetfit into the cpu out of the cpu into the gpu and back to res.

in between the rad two rads there is to be drain loop.

so my question are ,is the pump in the wright place, should i i go from res to pump or am i ok to go from res to rad then pump,is it going to be strong enough or do i need to add another pump somewhere in the loop or shall do dual loop.

if you dont understand or something is clear please let me know icould provide more information.

at moment all i have is the case im just brain storming , researching planning on getting the asus formula mobo so i can see how much space i have and can play with the top rad.

i look forward to your advise my whole case modding is on hold because i need to make the wright cuts and mods before i paint he case.

Last edited:
Soldato
going Res to pump will help in priming the pump - otherwise you'll have to somehow make sure that the rad and tubing from rad to pump are full of water before you start the system

watercooling pumps tend not to like to be run "dry"

a D5 should be able to run that loop fine, if you were going to go dual pump then I'd go for something like an EK-DCP 4.0 in series as they will cost about the same as a single D5 but have double the head which could be useful

Associate
OP
thanks andybirrd123.

wast sure about how power the flow rate of the d5 because there were so many restriction it had to go through in one loop and plus the fact the water is going flow through miplate acrylic.

so i if were two use dual pump where and how should set them up next to each other or distance apart e.g res> pump, 240 rad > 240 rad > pump,360 rad, mosfet, cpu, gpu, res

Soldato
won't make any difference once the loop is running - just make sure you run the first pump after the res on it's own first to ensure the 2nd pump is primed, then hook up the 2nd pump and run both together, but just fit the 2nd pump where it's convenient to fit it, and make sure you use an anti-vibration pad/mount as the DCP's can be noisy if fitted straight to the chassis (I think they come with the mount+pad though)

this does also have the advantage that if one pump fails, you will still have some flow, giving you time to shutdown the PC in a controlled fashion, rather than just have a pump fail and have no flow at all

the DCP's are quite small though so you can probably fit both of them wherever you were thinking of putting the D5

Associate
OP
is there there anything else other then EK-DCP 4.0 pumps i could use

i heard the that the MCP35X and 355 are good pumps but i dont know if i can use them without res.

like you said that the d5 should be fine what second pump can had to this 355?

Soldato
one is sold by Alphacool and one by Swiftech - but they are both just re-badged Laing D5's

a top will come with G1/4 threads so you can fit whatever fittings you want but all the fittings will need to match the tubing you end up with

I think OCUK do some pump and top combos that will come with a warranty - fitting a new top to a D5 will void the warranty IIRC

Last edited:
Associate
OP
the asus maxiumums forula mosfet barbs i think are 3/8 i dk wheteher that is the od/id
does all the tubing have to be same in the loop or can i mix it up.

can you commend laing d5 pump and top high flow and some cpu high flow blokes and the three rads 360 top and dual 240

Soldato
bit difficult now that you've quote him lmao

and in any case, the specs on that link you've posted are for the MCP35X2 but the price is for the MCP655 (which is no where near as good), having said that the MCP655 is still a good pump as it's a Laing D5

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yeh andy ur wright it is mcp55x2 where would i be able to buy the swithtec mcp655 pump from in the uk,

i have seen 2 them on two other webmistress performance pc and frozenq whic do g1/4 threads and also do 3/8 barbs.

regarding the tubing 3/8 id and 5/8 od is this going to be a good tubing for bending with no kinks.

im looking at some high flow tops for mcp 655 pump and looking single and dual pump tops, and also the Mod Kit for the MCP655 from Bitspower

any recommendation high flow tops

Back
Top Bottom