Need some help choosing a monitor

Associate
I've got a Ryzen 5 3600 & RTX3070 on order and figured I should also upgrade to 1440p.

I'll be using it for offline gaming. I like my visuals but I also want some reasonable fps too.

Am I right in thinking that the 3070 could struggle with a monitor with more than 60hz?

Is 27" likely to be optimum size?

Are dead pixels such an issue/worry as they used to be?

I've got a budget of around £300 - 500.

Many thanks for any recommendations you can throw in my direction

Associate
Not sure what you play but you are certainly not limited to 1440p@60Hz. Your 3070 should allow you more fps at that resolution.

I have a 2070 and run WoW at 3440x1440 on a 144Hz monitor and I normally get 100+ fps

Associate
OP
Not sure what you play but you are certainly not limited to 1440p@60Hz. Your 3070 should allow you more fps at that resolution.

I have a 2070 and run WoW at 3440x1440 on a 144Hz monitor and I normally get 100+ fps

I've been doing some reading up on fps/refresh rates etc since I posted and it looks like as long as I get a G-Sync monitor I should be fine with a 144hz monitor. Judging by benchmarks I'm assuming that anything over 144hz will be a waste for me at present (I'm expecting fps perhaps around 80 - 120 for the sort of games I'll be playing) but perhaps going for 165hz+ might be worth it for future proofing?

Associate
OP
Ok I think I'm getting somewhere...

My favorite so far seems to be the ViewSonic Elite XG270QG.
The only issue that kept cropping up in reviews is that it's not so good at displaying black -more like grey.

Can anyone suggest another G-Sync monitor I should consider? 1440p, 144hz+, 27 - 35", resolution ideally 2560x1440, budget now more flexible....

Associate
OP

Hmm... Looks likes I'm torn now beween the ViewSonic Elite and the ASUS TUF.

The ASUS is cheaper plus I'd be able to use it with both AMD & Nvidia cards. It's also got HDR & HDMI (which I'm not bothered about).

The ViewSonic has the G-Sync module so it's pretty much guaranteed to play nicely with my 3070 but I'd be tied to Nvidia. No more AMD for me. Again, not really fussed here but it'd be sensible to have options. The panel also suffers from back-light bleed or whatever's it's called.

I'm still finding myself drawn to ViewSonic but I'm not sure why, especially now I read more about the ASUS. I was about to pull the trigger on the ViewSonic a few minutes ago before I reread some comparison reviews but I think I'd better just get to bed and sleep on it.

Associate
OP
Hardware Unboxed has some very comprehensive monitor reviews which are worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7m5C6_P_lnXb9cHwdo0Ct1TTZ7KUwm3e

Lol I'd started watching that previously but I zoned out with all the graphs etc. His voice gets really boring when he's nerding out. I went back to it via your link and it did get more interesting luckily.

The ASUS I'd already discounted but I had another look to make sure. I think the HDR turned out to be worthlessness actually btw but I might be imagining it -I've looked at so many reviews now my brain's seeping out through my ears.

The ViewSonic apparently will support freesync so there's some more flexibility there after all for team red.

Honestly, I'd decided on the LG by this afternoon and found an office stationary company that allegedly had it in stock, plus it's approximately half the price of the ViewSonic....

But something I read this afternoon encouraged me to order the ViewSonic instead. No idea, don't ask, my brain's frazzled, but it's done, it's ordered...no more monitor research for another few years I hope!!

Caporegime
@FishPolice Hehe, I know what you mean, it does my head in, too. Buying a GPU is so much easier. :)

I appreciate you've already ordered but for future reference regarding HDR, the strong impression I get is that unless it says HDR 1000 on the box you won't get a true HDR experience (regarding PC monitors anyway).

HDR 600 may be significantly better than HDR 400 but it's still lacking in one or two areas.

I got close to ordering two or three times today but I'm finding that I keep compromising too much on some of the features I would ideally like to have, so instead I'm going to wait it out.
The monitor I'm using is a pretty good one (for a TN) so I can't complain. :)

Caporegime
I don't think my cpu & gpu will quite cope with a wide screen monitor at the fps & refresh rates I'm hoping to achieve... tempting though...
Oh it absolutely will. My 2070 Super gets 100+ FPS in Apex Legends and good FPS in all other games at that res. An RTX3070 will blow the socks off 3440x1440p.

Associate
OP
@arc@css I don't think I need HDR anyway so that's not really a concern to me. I only mentioned it again yesterday because I didn't want to mislead anyone else looking through this thread hoping for factual advice.

It sounds like like there's going to be some decent monitors released in the next few months so hopefully you'll find yourself a good one at some point.

@MissChief I did actually have a serious look at some ultra size screens yesterday. I was really quite tempted but, although there were a couple of screens that almost ticked all the boxes, there were too many compromises at the same time. Maybe later in the year if I get back into computing. I'm only really building the current pc out of nessessity and got carried away as usual by new shiny things.

Back
Top Bottom