Need some info about portsmouth

Man of Honour
You can patronisingly say that but apart from a recent few, I have never heard of many in the local news or papers in my 36yrs.
Even looking on a crime map only showed a few in recent times and Googling showed news articles from 2018 and then nothing really. I think there were some news articles for 2013 and 2007.
So unless they've gone unnoticed and unwritten. I think the general murder rate around here is fairly low.
Amazingly low compared to London and probably the UK average.

Portsmouth is a city and that inevitably brings a certain level of crime. I'm not suggesting Pompey is out of the average or rough, just that murders happen, on average probably 2-3 per year, although the last year has been worse. They all get varying levels of coverage from the press and most people won't be affected by it. It's similar to Southampton in that regards although Southampton is 20% bigger.

Soldato
I live and work near Portsmouth, though I don't spend much time in the centre.

I don't have anything bad to report personally, but if you're worried about being based in the centre then look either side and you can't go too far wrong. Emsworth is a nice little place for example and it's not exactly a long commute.

I certianly wouldn't describe Portsmouth as "unsafe" in my experience. I've quite enjoyed the time I've spent there.

Soldato
I lived in North Southsea (officially known as Somerstown) for several years and typically had no problems, but it's typically not a great area.

The ex's car was broken into to steal a wallet of music CD's, and we had at least 3 drug raids take place in different houses along the street (one of those was a bunch of young Albanian guys all living in the same house, who would peddle their wares out on the streets in the evening, sometimes right outside our house - 3 guesses who called the PoPo on them! :D).

The farther south you are on Portsea island the better it generally gets. Southsea itself is nice with some nice big communal areas on the seafront for BBQs etc, but the gf is originally from Pompey and lived in Hilsea near the top, where it felt like you had to watch your back all the time just in case.

Associate
Lived in Portsmouth for about 11 years , 2000-2011 approx. Lived in the North End bit , near Albert Road and Southsea area. If you are not an 'up for it type' of person , its can be a pretty poor choice for a place to live. Constant siren noises can be heard especially during the night time and as mentioned loads of times , parking and general traffic is dire. Southsea is nice in the summer periods , but come winter time it was pretty miserable.

Soldato
I live in Leigh Park which is about 6 miles from Portsmouth, though I generally say I'm from Portsmouth.

There's only four things wrong with Portsmouth, @mrk lives there, the traffic on and off the island, parking, and once more @mrk lives there.

I don't like residential side of Portsmouth, rows and rows and rows of terraced houses and cars parked bumper to bumper. I would look at one of the off island suburbs like Leigh Park, Bedhampton, Waterlooville or Havant. Do not look to live West of Pompey the traffic getting over there is bad, places like Fareham and Gosport.

Soldato
Or pop along to Chichester, much nicer there.

Yep!

I live in Chichester and it's 100x better than Portsmouth. The only thing Pompey has that's worth going to is Gunwharf and that's purely for the outlets.

The problem with Chichester is that it's bloody expensive. I'm saving for a house at the moment and we're talking £375,000 for a 3 bed semi-detached and that's a small semi at that!

There are plenty of nice areas outside of Portsmouth that will be far better and the M27 isn't that bad.

I travel from Chichester to Fareham for work and it used to be a nightmare but not so bad anymore.

Associate
I live in Southampton, but visit Portsmouth regularly.

Neither city is unsafe, traffic bad is in both. Both are a little untidy but nothing worry about. Both have some interesting history, portsmouth definitely shows this off better. They both have similar shops, entertainment, transport links.

Back
Top Bottom