Need some new closed headphones

Soldato
Hey,

Firstly I posted in this section because I would prefer the responce from HiFi enthusiast members.

Recently I have found out both of my ear drums are perforated. On Thursday I had a operation on my left ear to fix that one. I currently have a dressing in my ear which has to stay in for 2 weeks. It's very annoying not being able to listen to music but the pain is more annoying lol.

Anyway I figured to celebrate I get a nice set of headphones instead of the crap pair I'm using now. A budget of around £100 should do nicely. They need to be closed as I can't have people complaining that they can hear my music.

I will mainly be using these for Music. Rock, Electro, Metal. I will probably use them for some gaming as well but I am thinking about buying another pair with a mic so my main concern is music. I will be using these to play around with Ableton and Reason.

Oh they need to be comfortable and really cover my ears :)

I have been on Avforums and HeadFi but its hard to understand hwat people are talking about when they just use model number :p

So any suggestions?

Soldato
Whoops, I didn't read the OP properly.

In that case, I'd recommend some Ultrasone HFI-680s (slightly over budget though). I personally use Ultrasone Pro 750s which I absolutely love. Also have a look at the Sennheiser HD25-II.

You may be able to get a good deal over at Head-Fi with some second hand cans.

Soldato
I'd suggest the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. I tried loads of closed headphones recently and these were far and above my favourites and now rarely leave my neck unless I'm relaxing at home then I [sometimes] reach for the HD-650's instead.

Associate
I'd recommend some Beyerdynamic DT 250s which are around that kind of price, I think.

I have some and they rule. Use them mostly for monitoring/mixing, but they get a reasonable amount of time listening to music too and I have no complaints. Listen to quite a variety of music, but most is in the rock/metal category.

Soldato
I'd suggest the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. I tried loads of closed headphones recently and these were far and above my favourites and now rarely leave my neck unless I'm relaxing at home then I [sometimes] reach for the HD-650's instead.

This, and this, and a bit more of this.

Hardly use my Grados now, the 25s are that good, and don't need an amp. A bit like a perfect woman that just goes on delivering every night, and morning and afternoon, and dinner :D

Soldato
OP
haha how strange. Just as you posted that I was looking at reviews of the 25s. The cup size doesn't seem big. It looks like it sits on the ear rather than cover them. Can't say they look the best either. Not denying that they sound amazing though and will be a pair I will try out.

Anyone know where the best place online is to buy them? (New) If you can't say no problem, but what price should I be looking at?

Soldato
OP
Wondering if you guys can help me out here. About to order them but looking for the best price. I have seen this:

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II LE - £129.99
Sennheiser HD 25-C II Headphones - £156.43
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Monitoring Headphones - £144.26

Obviously the difference between the last two is a coiled and non coiled cable (which would be better?)
But the LE version... is that better? If so why cheaper?

Soldato
They do just sit on the ears.

The 'LE/SE' pack comes with more of a proper carrying case than the little nylon sack they usually come with but it doesn't have the velour pads (these only cost just over a tenner if you wanted them). It'll be cheaper because Sennheiser presumably offered it at a special price to retailers.

A coiled cable is a massive nuisance unless you're only using them at a desk.

Back
Top Bottom