1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some new headphones

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by RyanF, May 12, 2018.

1. RyanF

Wise Guy

So my HD598s are getting a bit grubby and long in the tooth, wanting to upgrade to a new pair of headphones. I've got a ModMic so a built-in mic isn't a must and have a Xonar Essence STX to power anything.

Recommendations?

2. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

What is your budget and what are you plugging them into?

3. RyanF

Wise Guy

Can go up to £300 or so, plugging direct in to the Xonar soundcard I've got and using the built-in amp.

4. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

Good all rounder is the AKG K712. Can be had quite cheaply at the moment and are a good upgrade from what you have.

5. rids57

Soldato

I agree, the K712 is an absolute steal at it's current price and the STX will drive them well.

I would have also recommended the HiFiMan HE400i as they are still selling for £180 but with so many yoke failures from the December onward batch it's a bit of a lottery - seems I was lucky, I got mine just before the batch with the bad plastic hit the market and mine are still solid and crack free :)

6. RyanF

Wise Guy

How is the AKG rated as a "gaming" set of headphones? This will be their sole use, I presume all directional audio will be handled by the STX like it currently is?

7. Minstadave

Capodecina

They’re one of the best for gaming because of the wide soundstage.

8. rids57

Soldato

Very expansive sound stage and extremely detailed

9. RyanF

Wise Guy

Excellent, thank you gentlemen.

10. dante6491

Soldato

Have to agree with Rids. Very pleased with my Hifiman, just a shame that the yolk broke. That said, customer service was superb and sent my a Sundara headband from China inside four days.

The AKG price is a steal. So much so they arrive on Wednesday...

11. EsaT

Mobster

K712 is one step below absolute top in competitiveness.
    That fun above neutral bass punch makes details less easy to distinguish with simultaneous low frequency sounds than in neutral bass K702.
    Which is ridiculously cheap for sound quality quality with its current pricing.

12. rids57

Soldato

... but that extra bit of bass does make explosions sound a lot better - I guess it depends on whether he wants them for competitive FPS and nothing else, in which case get the K702, or more general gaming and get the K712.

the OP could of course just get the K702 and do the bass port mod (removing two internal sticky pads) which adds around 5db down in the lower bass.

13. darreny

Mobster

Only issue I had with the k712 was the fit, they always seemed loose but I did get them 2nd hand so maybe previous guy had a larger head.
    With that said I thought they sounded great, more so than the hd650s I replaced them with. The only issue is if you want to use them with something like a phone as they're very hard to drive

14. V F

Capodecina

That wasn't what I read. They said if you got the same pads from the K712 and put them on the K702 the treble was relaxed and more bass.

15. RyanF

Wise Guy

I don't play any super competitive games that rely on pinpoint sound positioning so the slightly "inferior" K712 seems a better choice for myself. Most competitive I ever get is an occasional foray back into CS:GO matchmaking before remembering how dire I am.

16. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

The K712 is not inferior, it is a far superior all rounder.

17. rids57

Soldato

... which is quite different to the bass port mod. The K712 has memory foam / gel pads, which increase the quantity of the mid bass while the bass port mod affects the lower bass, giving them more of a rumble...

[​IMG]

18. V F

Capodecina

Many people including Z Reviews has never said this.

@rids57 Interesting.

19. PaulCa

Associate

20. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

It is more balanced for music and gaming in my opinion. Had both. Z is entitled to his opinions, often I agree with him and often not.

He does love the K712's regardless. :)