Need some plumbing help.

Associate
Hi All,

Just bought my first house last week and after being in there a couple of days I've noticed a few bits and pieces which could do with sorting.

1) Toilet flushing. Using the smaller of the two buttons on the toilets seems to work fine. However when pressing both together it then feeds water constantly into the bowl and then tops the tank every few seconds...it's rather annoying.

2) Leaky basin. The water takes a little time to empty out of the basin and some is dripping onto the floor. I've had a little play but not much luck.

I'm happy to post some pictures if anyone's willing to help, or if anyone could recommend a site where you can get decent tradesmen without being ripped off, as I can only imagine these are small(ish) thinks to rectify.

Cheers

Swain90

Associate
1 Lift the top of the toilet, under the 2 buttons there will be 2 adjusters that push 2 bigger buttons underneath. Check the buttons aren't sticking, and adjust the scores so they aren't depressing the buttons permanently.

2 take out the u bend (normally compression fitting so unscrew them.) clean it as its probably got a load of crud in there, replace the 2 black washers with new ones. Is it leaking from a pipe or the bowl ?

Rich (Not a plumber)

Associate
Call a plumber, explain the situation and get a quote.
These a very easy fix and won't cost much.
My experience with things like this is that you will spend all day faffing around as you don't have the bits handy and will then wish you had called a plumber in the first place.

Soldato
I'm no plumber but if you can use a spanner these aren't difficult things to fix. First time you do them, as Sandycheeks says, you'll spend all day faffing around but I think it can be rewarding and a good learning exercise.

I had to fit a new flush mechanism recently. Fitted this http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-push-button-cable-dual-flush-valve/51173 and it took a while but actually when it came down to it I really only had to shut the water off, unscrew the cistern, unscrew the old flush valve, screw the new one in and do everything back up. Took me a few hours but for <£12 I was glad to have done it and took a sense of pride.

The leak will be something like perished washers as Rich says or perhaps the plug hole sealant needing renewing. Perhaps also a leaking fitting somewhere that needs replacing depending on where its coming from. Key to those jobs is that whatever you're renewing make sure things are clean and well prepared before fitting a new washer, connector, sealant or whatever. Don't get sucked into a world of PFTE tape and gunk which only ends up bodging it.

Back
Top Bottom