• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need someone who knows their stuff on Intel C states

Caporegime
I have not tampered with the C states in my rig (X99 5820k @ 4.4ghz) as ideally when just using it for browsing,streaming etc the power savings would be welcome.

However, i use it for DAW (music production stuff) so i use the Steinberg/Cubase power profile (which automatically puts windows in high performance mode (ie cpu min state 100%). I have also noticed some cpu bound (and probably badly code..) games run much better when in high performance mode.

Now, when the PC is in high performance mode and isnt being stressed on all 6 cores simultanously (like when using a bench test or something), i have noticed that the cores still fluctuate between x12 and x44 multi so even in high performance mode, some cores are downclocking.

Is there a C state that will prevent this? From research I think it will be the C1E state that is doing this but i am not 100% sure.

If I disable the C1E state but leave every other state as is, would this mean in balanced mode, the cpu will still downclock at idle/low usage but in high performance mode it should hold the maximum multi at all times?

Caporegime
I would've thought high performance mode disabled all of the power saving functions but I think most modern Intel processors need Speedstep enabled for Turboboost to function so that might be what is bringing the multiplier down. You might need to disable both Speedstep and Turboboost for the clock to stay constant but you'll obviously lose some performance too.

Soldato
As you say, you get better performance in High Performance mode. The fact that the chip still clocks down when idle is a good thing, not sure why you want to turn it off.

Back
Top Bottom