Need to make a decision.. (RAM or Motherboard?)

Download S&M, not much can load the dual core CPU and memory like this app, at least not as easily.

http://www.overclockers.ru/softnews/19982.shtml

Set the loading to 100% on both cores and run the CPU(FPU) test and watch the voltages. Then try 3mark06 but you will have to log (speedfan) the voltages, because you can't look at the voltages after the program finishes. I'd use a multimeter plugged in a molex, its the most accurate way. Do you have one?

Last edited:
fornowagain said:
Download S&M, not much can load the dual core CPU and memory like this app, at least not as easily.

http://www.overclockers.ru/softnews/19982.shtml

Set the loading to 100% on both cores and run the CPU(FPU) test and watch the voltages. Then try 3mark06 but you will have to log (speedfan) the voltages, because you can't look at the voltages after the program finishes. I'd use a multimeter plugged in a molex, its the most accurate way. Do you have one?

I don't no...

But I'll try that S&M and let you know what my voltages are.

Ran the CPU test with full load and I didn't see any changes in voltages at all really..

When it started the second and final (I think) faze of the Power Supply test, where the VGA heating thing popped up, I got this..

But I think that is down to a crash in the software rather than something wrong with my PSU right?

Here is a pic of my voltages mid way through..

I wasn't supposed to fill those bars to the top under threshold right?

Right, I am now about 80%ish sure that BOTH sticks of RAM work absolutely fine when run seperately on my system. I didn't see a single crash running one stick yesterday and haven't seen a single one with this stick today...

When they are run together, single or dual channel, I get the problems..

Done memtest on each stick on it's own and let the test run 3-4 times with no problems..

I think it's either down to a faulty motherboard or compatibility problems perhaps which a bios update might fix??

If I try and flash the bios and it goes wrong, will I still be able to RMA the motherboard?

Because right about now flashing the bios is about the last thing I can try before sending the mobo back and going for an Asus one probably...

Last edited:
The first time you flash a board is a bit scary, I know. Just read the instructions and follow them exactly. I don't know MSI apps that well, but I prefer the MSI Live update

Checking the MSI site there are two revisions of the board, so get the right bios.
PCB 1.0 or 3.0

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=637&kind=1

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=720&kind=1

The voltages look good, nothing wrong there, bit more volts at the core wouldn't hurt 1.4 at least.

Last edited:
Do you have to have a floppy disc drive? I don't have one on this PC ..

And also, when I've discovered which board is mine do I only need to download the top latest bios? I assume that one would have all the previous bios updates included with it, although I wanna make sure first...

Yeah top one has all the other updates. Just find out which pcb and get the latest. IIRC the windows flash app can flash from a file on the HDD, haven't used MSI in a couple of years, so I don't know exactly.

Last edited:
Okay mate, haven't flashed my bios yet..

Decided to give 2 sticks of RAM in dual channel another go and within 15 mins of a game the comp restarted.. :(

Weird thing is though that everytime it restarts, I load my PC back up, put the game back on and it's fine... :confused: Why is that? I even bumped it up to an incredibly high resolution to see if it would crash but it didn't!

Anyway decided to give my RAM a few more volts, just the next option up, nothing major... Will have to wait until tomorrow really until I know if it's done owt, because as I say, once my comp has crashed once it bizarrely tends to be absolutely perfect for the rest of the day.. :confused:

If the voltage thing doesn't work and neither does flashing the bios then it's RMA time..

Only problem is I am not sure what? The RAM? The Mobo? Or maybe even the PSU, which would require me to return the case too... probably just easier to buy another PSU and then try and sell the other one off somewhere... Arrrrrrggghhhhh.

Last edited:
Alright something new..

For the first time ever my PC restarted when I was just on the desktop, not in a game! I was listening to some music and chatting on MSN when suddenly the sound looped on the song for a couple of seconds then a blue screen came up (couldn't read it, only stayed up for about 2 seconds) then my monitor went in to stand-by mode..

I turned my base unit off and then back on and it did the old 'Beep...............Beep...............Beep...............Beep' (which as I said before, is a RAM problem according to the MSI site). I turned my base unit off once again and removed one of my sticks of RAM and booted up my PC and got an error that said the PC had just recovered from a serious error, then when I clicked Error Report I got this,

untitled8iv.jpg

So I am assuming the blue screen I saw comes up everytime it crashes in games too but I just haven't seen it because of the game covering it..

This tell anyone anything more?

Again, it's either RAM, Motherboard or PSU related and I need to find out so I can do something about it...

Last edited:
Hlebio said:
Again, it's either RAM, Motherboard or PSU related and I need to find out so I can do something about it...
I think you have done all you can. Short of swapping out components.

Only one thing left to try. Until you flash that bios...

Alright, going to flash the bios right now. :D

If that goes wrong I'm throwing this out the window and purchasing a gameboy.

Assuming Bios doesn't fix owt, which I think will be true, what do you suggest I try replacing first?

:eek: Someone on another forum found me this when I showed them the error..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315335

Are we finally getting somewhere??

Going to stick the other stick of RAM in now and see if the bios flash did anything.. I doubt it.

Then I'll run memtest one final time with both sticks in Dual Channel for 4-5 hours and then I think it's RMA time UNLESS memtest reports no errors AND I see no crashing in games before tomorrow afternoonish..

Last edited:
Hmmm, noticed in my bios that when my timings are set to auto one of them is wrong. Corrected it and I have yet to see a crash..

It's bloody typical cause I've just got an RMA number.. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom