Need to make the Mac Pro wireless

Caporegime
You should be fine installing it yourself, you'll just need the card and the antenna. Failing that just see if there's a PCI card you can get.

Soldato
The cards are available, was looking into getting one for my Core Duo MBP as an upgrade from the slow old card. Part number I was supplied is MB363ZM/A, price was around £35. That was a card for the first rev Mac Pro, not sure which machine you have - if it's a 2008 Harpertown revision then check the compatibility.

Caporegime
OP
The cards are available, was looking into getting one for my Core Duo MBP as an upgrade from the slow old card. Part number I was supplied is MB363ZM/A, price was around £35. That was a card for the first rev Mac Pro, not sure which machine you have - if it's a 2008 Harpertown revision then check the compatibility.

Bargain! Just managed to find a place and order one! :)

Should be with me tomorrow, will keep you posted with the installation.

Thanks again!

Caporegime
OP
Got the Airport today. Installed it - took about half an hour as it's very fiddly. Boot up time was about 20 mins where it was configuring - blah blah blah.

Now running from it :D - works a treat! :)

Caporegime
Nice, I take it you didn't need to plug an antenna in the back then? Or was that only for the Powermac G5s?

Soldato
So what's the BT aerial for then :p

As far as I can remember, there are 4 antennas, but only 3 of them are used at any one time. It's apparently just a case of trial and error to see which ones give you best results, presumably as they go to different areas in the case.

Caporegime
OP
Nice, I take it you didn't need to plug an antenna in the back then? Or was that only for the Powermac G5s?

antennae as shown in the above pic was already there. Just had to blow the dust off - clamp it onto the card, card in and we were away :)

Had to take HDD02 out though.

Associate
Some places won't sell you the cards as they are for AASP's only, but if you ask nicely most will supply them. I bought two a while back and only on the second did someone say erm I we supposed to be selling these. Luckily as I'd already bought one before they said what the hey :)

There are a couple of online places selling them two, but a local apple store would be slightly cheaper as there is no shipping.

Caporegime
OP
Some places won't sell you the cards as they are for AASP's only, but if you ask nicely most will supply them. I bought two a while back and only on the second did someone say erm I we supposed to be selling these. Luckily as I'd already bought one before they said what the hey :)

There are a couple of online places selling them two, but a local apple store would be slightly cheaper as there is no shipping.
The Lakeside store wouldn't sell me one. But the guy in the shop told me where to buy mine from. :)

Caporegime
OP
At the price of a Mac Pro, why doesn't it come standard with bluetooth and wireless? You would have thought so considering they do in a £600 laptop:p

Because they aren't always needed?

With a laptop you are pretty much guranteed to take it around and need wireless.

Plus a lot of them are bought by screaming teenage girls who are all "bluetooth that song to me!!!!!" - hence the reason :p

Mac Pro's are meant for business, so very rarely get transported so don't have to have a wireless. and Bluetooth isn't necessary as most people use wired keyboards and mice in work :)

So ners :p

Soldato
Because they aren't always needed?
<snip>

Couldn't put it better myself.

The rest of the desktop Mac range is home-oriented. Mac Pros are big iron for serious work.

Any decent company environment will likely have servers and gigabit ethernet to the desktop. Wireless is fine for meeting rooms etc, but flawed for office use. It's a shared connection with interference and contention issues, plus you get 25Mb on a good day.

Caporegime
There's a bigger argument for having Bluetooth as standard as opposed to WiFi, but it's still not a big reason.

Caporegime
OP
Just to review I was using the Airport, didn't drop once, signal was brilliant. Really really pleased with it :)

Can't count how many wireless problems I've had using windows Machine and Hardware :)

and for the record, I've got Bluetooth as well :p

Back
Top Bottom