1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neighbour Complaint About Gas Flue

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by AndyCr15, May 12, 2019.

1. ZG002

Capodecina

Yeah, if they sit the other side of that fence then they will smell it when your boiler fires up, might just of been the off chance they were sitting there when it fired up after fitting. That smell should go away after a few seconds.

2. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

How high up is that flue? I dont see how your neighbour's are being effected by it by anything other than noise. It's high up and miles away from them. Mine is facing my own back garden and unless I'm standing facing it from 1 foot away it is easily ignored and harmless.

Seriously I would tell them to do one. Plus it should only be turning on when hot water is called for and winter.

I doubt they would be out much in winter. Unless you are taking baths or 30 minute showers regularly it won't be noticeable.

3. robj20

Sgarrista

Just fit a plume control kit. Job done.

It is actually a rule to not allow the flue plume to cause a nuisance. Generally means don't eject it towards someone else's property without control at least.

4. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

Having thought about it, given regulations say it must not be a nuisance, maybe I can get British Gas to correct it as part of the install with no further charge? I would be saying it was not a satisfactory installation, given it doesn't meet requirements as it apparently is a nuisance?

5. Semple

Soldato

Does the plume expel outwards over the fence? I would have thought it would barely expel a foot before rising to the sky.

Even if it was angled left or right, they're still going to see it/smell it/hear it/<whatever else they're complaining about>.

6. a1ex2001

Capodecina

Not true almost all boiler flues can have a termination kit installed to direct the plume in a particular direction, I would ask British Gas to come back and discuss it.

7. a1ex2001

Capodecina

The plume on my flue goes alot further than a foot I think it would be polite to re-direct the plume up into the air in that install.

8. robj20

Sgarrista

Mines a vertical flue and the condensation easily travels the length of the house when it's going full blast.

9. ZG002

Capodecina

Easily clear that fence on fire up, will smell of gas also, Wont last long.

It could of always been an "issue" for them but never bothered to mention it until they saw work getting done to it and thought they would pipe up...

10. Em3bbs

Mobster

The condensation on mine is enough on a cold morning to travel about 5 foot down the path and then set off my Ring floodlight camera which is on the corner of the wall on the other side. I'm moving the boiler at some point so will wait until then before tackling it.

11. Richie

Soldato

I'm not sure why people are having a go at the neighbour.... a change to a neighbouring house has now created a problem that wasn't there before and they have asked if something can be done to rectify it.

I'm sure if the OP had put up that they were the neighbour in this scenario, the reaction from some on here would have been different.... Is £100 or so a lot to keep the peace when it was the OP's house change that caused the issue in the first place?

12. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

if it's £100, no. What if British Gas want £400?

13. robj20

Sgarrista

£400 to for a plume kit. Lol
    They cost about £50 and take a couple of minutes to fit.

14. SimonR

Hitman

Which rules would those be? If the rule exists, it should also specify what distance is acceptable as most flues will face a neighbours property at some distance. Also do not confuse a condensation plume on a cold morning, with the exhaust gasses, they are two separate things. 12 years working in Environmental Health, I have dealt with enough of these over the years.

15. robj20

Sgarrista

You should know this then shouldn't you.

British Standard BS5440-1 "recommends" that condensing boiler flues should not be sited where the plume is "likely to cause a nuisance".

However, "guidance" (not compulsory) in the government document "Guide to the Condensing Boiler Installation Assessment Procedure for Dwellings" extends this 600mm to "a minimum 2·5m from a facing wall, fence, building, or the property boundary" for condensing boilers.

16. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

Because British Gas normally just charge for parts when they do work? (And I'm sure they source the cheapest parts too)

17. robj20

Sgarrista

£350 to fit a plume kit is some going even for British Gas.

18. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

Who knows though. I never said it would, I asked what if it did.... The point being, where do you draw the line. I didn't think I needed that much explanation, sorry.

19. robj20

Sgarrista

It's what plume kits are for, i was answering your original post, my dad complained about their neighbours new boiler and he just fitted a plume kit after seeing that the plume would on occasion blow into my parents kitchen window.
    Problem solved and happy neigbours. Up to you if you don't want to have one fitted.

If cost was an issue, using British Gas was a mistake.

20. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

I do, and I want British Gas to fit it, and here we are.