Nelson Mandela has died

Soldato
People need to realise that in apartheid South Africa anyone of colour going against the government was going to be silenced with non-peaceful means. He tried peaceful protesting first but it didn't work.

He was a terrorist in the eyes of apartheid South Africa and yes he killed or ordered the killing of a lot of people but he was fighting for the right for equality for people of colour in South Africa.

He was no saint and his actions questionable but I think his good went a long way for making amends for it.

I grew up in apartheid and post apartheid South Africa and I saw the change first hand. You can all sit behind your keyboards and say he was this or that but none of you made the sort of change he did and if you did have to, what means would you go to to ensure or protect your freedom?

Soldato
It's certainly a polarising life he led. Ultimately, something had to be done and against an aggressively armed state. No figures regarding the white on black state killings and violence are accurate but I'd imagine they are far in excess of what is pinned on Mandela.

Terrorist actions, but for unquestionably the right reasons. Rather than some fundamentalist, religious or other BS.

RIP. I can't think of many politicians that have achieved as much good in the space of one lifetime.

Soldato
Bin Laden was far from a freedom fighter just an asset of the CIA.

What is Obama? Not a president but definitely a puppet and terrorist(bombing innocent people)

It's funny how people are so quick to pick out the negatives, but not the obvious ones that are right in their face. I'm guessing a lot of this has to do with the fact he was black and killed whites, maybe people haven't thought about crimes against blacks? Either way no crime can be justified regardless of skin, race or colour. Can't be taking sides because of such things just ridiculous

Last edited:
Associate
People need to realise that in apartheid South Africa anyone of colour going against the government was going to be silenced with non-peaceful means. He tried peaceful protesting first but it didn't work.

I grew up in apartheid and post apartheid South Africa and I saw the change first hand. You can all sit behind your keyboards and say he was this or that but none of you made the sort of change he did and if you did have to, what means would you go to to ensure or protect your freedom?

This. I was born in Rhodesia and spent time in South Africa in the early 80s. History will see the ends as justifying the means.

Back
Top Bottom