Nerds assemble! Raspberry pi close to launch date.

Soldato
Ladies and gentlemen, set your alarms!
Posted on February 27, 2012 by eben

The Raspberry Pi Foundation will be making a big (and very positive) announcement that just might interest you at 0600h GMT on Wednesday 29 February 2012. Come to www.raspberrypi.org to find out what’s going on..
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/716
Will be waking up one hour early and turning over to my tablet to check the news. I don't think it will be launched on Thursday, as production finished today. So maybe monday but they might have got quick shipping. Anyway, it's close and I have multiple things I can use it in. A lot of people expect that it is going to be used as a UAV platform as it has enough power to do video processing among many other things. So that's what my first project will hopefully involve. Cannot wait as it's very powerful for its size and most importantly it runs linux.

Soldato
OP
What is it?

Very cheap computer that runs linux, sold for £15 or £25. 800Mhz which is several magnitudes more powerful than current systems such as arduino. Also very low wattage as well.
Can be used in Classrooms and its small enough to be used in anything that moves. It will be like utopia if they replace every windows computer in ict and change it for one of these, they have caused so much damage to our youth. We need more programmers, not office monkeys.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've not really looked much into it. Will we be able to reprogram any of the electronics on it?

Not really sure what you mean, it's just one package that can run linux. So I guess the answer is yes but I think some of the broadcom chips are a bit locked up. It has a gpio header so it will be used for I/O stuff.

How about running XMBC on it, having one of these dangling from behind a TV in every room streaming from a file server.
Drooling.

Will be quite possible, I think it will be a while for proper hardware acceleration though.

Soldato
The run it off 4xAA batteries thing is interesting and could add a great deal of usefulness.

Very interested but being a complete noob iam going to wait for a few step-by-step instructions to come out.

Soldato
Wow, it is tiny!

The run it off 4xAA batteries thing is interesting and could add a great deal of usefulness.

Very interested but being a complete noob iam going to wait for a few step-by-step instructions to come out.

I am pretty much a total n00b too when it comes to computers but that is part of the fun with this thing! It's a learning experience. :D

Soldato
OP
Apologies, I meant can we program the on-board chips.

A bit like the Ardunio board.

Well not really. It can be used for arduino like stuff but it would use a linux driver and a library for a language. Take java, it could have a library for the raspberry pi and could be used practically the same way as arduino by using GPIO. It can pretty much be used in the same arduino is currently used, and I would imagine people will program in many different languages that have libraries for it.
So all you will need to get is something liek this
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/411

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom