Nest cameras

Caporegime
@Psycho Sonny

I was actually going to ask a niche question. You might be able to help

Does the nest camera system have the ability to turn on at certain times, send alerts and detect animals?

I ask as I'd love to be able to remotely check on my chickens. And be alerted if there's a fox detected at night. Or check remotely during the day they are OK.
A fox could easy get in at night but if I got an alarm on my phone I could easily go out and prevent disaster in time.

This is especially important for holidays.

This is very niche. But with the doorbell would make it worth the subscription.

There is a schedule function. As well as home and away function. As in as soon as you leave the home cameras go on and as you come home they turn off.

I have this off and leave them recording 24/7 though.

Schedule function I have neve rused but I imagine this is what it says on the tin and what you are looking for.

There is no animal or pet detection unfortunately. There is parcel detection and people detection as well as motion detection and activity zones.

I have set a zone to cover my driveway for example. If anyone steps foot on my property I get an alert. I have had cats set this off I'm sure. But it was just a standard zone alert rather than a specific alert.

The subscription will do what's needed. If you get the outdoor camera or doorbell both have speakers so you can speak or make noise to maybe deter a fox but in that situation I'd hope they are well secured if you won't be at a home I don't see how knowing a fox is there if you are 1000 miles away is helpful tbh.

But the cameras can do what you need them to do with a subscription. Set up an activity zone and a schedule and you are good to go.

Caporegime
There is a schedule function. As well as home and away function. As in as soon as you leave the home cameras go on and as you come home they turn off.

I have this off and leave them recording 24/7 though.

Schedule function I have neve rused but I imagine this is what it says on the tin and what you are looking for.

There is no animal or pet detection unfortunately. There is parcel detection and people detection as well as motion detection and activity zones.

I have set a zone to cover my driveway for example. If anyone steps foot on my property I get an alert. I have had cats set this off I'm sure. But it was just a standard zone alert rather than a specific alert.

The subscription will do what's needed. If you get the outdoor camera or doorbell both have speakers so you can speak or make noise to maybe deter a fox but in that situation I'd hope they are well secured if you won't be at a home I don't see how knowing a fox is there if you are 1000 miles away is helpful tbh.

But the cameras can do what you need them to do with a subscription. Set up an activity zone and a schedule and you are good to go.

Yeah nothing can do about fox if you're not home. They are pretty secure. But foxes are little ***** and often get in some how.

Would be more if I saw a sick hen and could message a neighbour.
The camera wouldn't need to differentiate between human and not. Would just need to not ignore animals.

This would be separate from the doorbell. Which would be a traditional doorbell.

Bonus. My chicken run is near where I keep my ebike. So having eyes on that would be worth it.

Caporegime
Yeah nothing can do about fox if you're not home. They are pretty secure. But foxes are little ***** and often get in some how.

Would be more if I saw a sick hen and could message a neighbour.
The camera wouldn't need to differentiate between human and not. Would just need to not ignore animals.

This would be separate from the doorbell. Which would be a traditional doorbell.

Bonus. My chicken run is near where I keep my ebike. So having eyes on that would be worth it.

The outdoor cameras are very expensive. Especially the good ones IQ versions. It's what originally mad me go down the dahua route. But the subscription is now a one off rather than per camera I wish I had maybe gone down that route now.

There is also now a PIR light with camera built in but the cameras all have night vision.

Don't know if the PIR could be more useful to deter burglars or fox's. A bright light and the. You can see them clearly on camera too.

Caporegime
I just read this in a review.

If this is the case. I'll be getting it

Better still, Google offers three hours of storage for recordings. That’s not a rolling three-hour window: it’s three hours’ worth of clips. Since clips are often less than 10 seconds long, that could be a week or more before the oldest clips are overwritten.

I was under the impression this wasn't the case and it was a 3 hour window of the previous 3 hours. Ie if you looked at it at 10 am you'd only see history back to 7am

Soldato
I already have the original Nest Hello so have the Nest Aware sub. It lets me add as many cameras as I want with no price increase.

If you don't already have the subscription though I can see how you are thinking.

Caporegime
I just read this in a review.

If this is the case. I'll be getting it

Better still, Google offers three hours of storage for recordings. That’s not a rolling three-hour window: it’s three hours’ worth of clips. Since clips are often less than 10 seconds long, that could be a week or more before the oldest clips are overwritten.

I was under the impression this wasn't the case and it was a 3 hour window of the previous 3 hours. Ie if you looked at it at 10 am you'd only see history back to 7am
Well it depends on how the recording is set up, if it is 24/7, then you would only have access to the past 3 hours of video, if you set it to only record on an event, then it will depend on how many events happen for you to get to your 3 hour limit and it starts to overwrite the older clips.

I just set up my Eufycam 2C cameras, and I have it set to up to 60 second clips when it detects things. The homebase has 16gb of storage, and will start to overwrite the oldest clips when I run out of space.

Caporegime
Well it depends on how the recording is set up, if it is 24/7, then you would only have access to the past 3 hours of video, if you set it to only record on an event, then it will depend on how many events happen for you to get to your 3 hour limit and it starts to overwrite the older clips.

I just set up my Eufycam 2C cameras, and I have it set to up to 60 second clips when it detects things. The homebase has 16gb of storage, and will start to overwrite the oldest clips when I run out of space.

It was talked about that the amount didn't matter. That even 1 clip if more than 3 hours ago would be lost.

I've contacted Google for clarity

Also. The delay on video turning on is also concerning. Apparently its seconds? That's very slow

Caporegime
It was talked about that the amount didn't matter. That even 1 clip if more than 3 hours ago would be lost.

I've contacted Google for clarity

Also. The delay on video turning on is also concerning. Apparently its seconds? That's very slow

I just read the article, continuous recording is only if you have Nest Aware, so the 'free' 3 hours will be event trigger based, just like my Eufycams, and will come with the associated lag as first the camera needs to detect movement, validate against any zones set, and only then trigger the recording.

Personally I don't mind as getting a 2-camera wifi set up for £170 is an acceptable trade-off when a proper POE install would be £1k+

Caporegime
I just read the article, continuous recording is only if you have Nest Aware, so the 'free' 3 hours will be event trigger based, just like my Eufycams, and will come with the associated lag as first the camera needs to detect movement, validate against any zones set, and only then trigger the recording.

Personally I don't mind as getting a 2-camera wifi set up for £170 is an acceptable trade-off when a proper POE install would be £1k+

Yes agreed. It's definitely not worth these pro set ups.

Associate
It's only battery right? Which of s a right pain

We have a battery cam with solar panel covering our garden.

The solar panel is capable of keeping the cam charged all the time and it's been installed for 18 months or so now.

Pretty handy for a completely wireless install.

Caporegime
Should find an answer soon.
Hopefully just in time for the sale. On the 27/9. Hoping might be 20 percent of like before

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still using my original Nest subscription. Google pester me every now and again to switch to using a Google account but with only two cameras, sticking with my current subscription is better value. I had to install access points in my eaves as the cameras were struggling to get a decent wi-fi signal through the walls of the house because of the insulation. I also recently had a Magpie try and steal the camera for my back garden! Left my camera hanging upside down!

Caporegime
I'm still using my original Nest subscription. Google pester me every now and again to switch to using a Google account but with only two cameras, sticking with my current subscription is better value. I had to install access points in my eaves as the cameras were struggling to get a decent wi-fi signal through the walls of the house because of the insulation. I also recently had a Magpie try and steal the camera for my back garden! Left my camera hanging upside down!

I upgraded I can't remember why exactly. I think they gave me something for free to do it. It was only £50 a year more expensive but it gave you as many cameras as you want. We then got an indoor nest IQ as a baby monitor so made sense to upgrade for that. We can review how well he sleeps during the night the following morning too.

Back
Top Bottom