Netflix - Studio Ghibli

Soldato
Finally someone online that will have them :D

https://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-to-stream-studio-ghibli-films-but-with-one-catch/
Here's the full list of Studio Ghibli films with the dates they'll arrive on Netflix over the next three months.

Arriving Feb. 1
  • Castle in the Sky (1986)
  • My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
  • Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
  • Only Yesterday (1991)
  • Porco Rosso (1992)
  • Ocean Waves (1993)
  • Tales from Earthsea (2006)
Arriving March 1
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
  • Princess Mononoke (1997)
  • My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)
  • Spirited Away (2001)
  • The Cat Returns (2002)
  • Arrietty (2010)
  • The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013)
Arriving April 1
  • Pom Poko (1994)
  • Whisper of the Heart (1995)
  • Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
  • Ponyo (2008)
  • From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
  • The Wind Rises (2013)
  • When Marnie Was There (2014)

Commissario
Tales from Earthsea is I think the only one I've not seen/got on blu-ray.

Pretty much every one of them is worth a watch, and some like Castle in the Sky I've seen so many times but still enjoy (it was the first Ghibli I watched, on C4 back in the early 90's and i've probably watched it dozens of times since).

Personal faves are

Totoro (obviously), Castle, Whisper of the Heart, Kiki, Cat Returns and Porco Russo, although depending on mood that will change a fair bit:p

I'm slightly surprised they don't seem to have Grave of the Fireflies on there, given it was made and shown back to back with Totoro, and is excellent in it's own way, but it's a hard watch (its a film you should watch, but you'll probably never want to watch again*).

They're also missing Pom Poko from the list.

*I say this having got at least 3 versions of it over the years, but only ever watched my original R1 DVD.

Soldato
These films are so well made, the World building is utterly brilliant. Films like Castle, Howl, Totoro, Porco and Nausica just leave me wanting to know more about the setting. I have most of these films on BluRay and I've watched maybe 7 of them having bought them to watch with my young children as they get old enough. They have been an utter delight.

Soldato
I'm slightly surprised they don't seem to have Grave of the Fireflies on there, given it was made and shown back to back with Totoro, and is excellent in it's own way, but it's a hard watch (its a film you should watch, but you'll probably never want to watch again*).

Grave of the Fireflies is hands down one of the greatest animations, if not movies I've ever seen. I agree, it's definitely one of those things I think everyone should see at least once.

It's beautiful in ways, but haunting and very difficult to watch.

Commissario
Pom Poko is out on April 1st according to the OPs list.

I'm not sure how I missed that, as I read the list about four times.
I blame space madness:p

Is the studio making any new films as its been awhile since the last one or two i think hasnt it?
IIRC Miyazaki is working on something with the studio.
I don't think they've ever been massively prolific with at most a film every year or two at their height, and I think they were more or less without an ongoing film project until Miyazaki came out of retirement (again).

Last edited:
Associate
I've never really watched any Studio Ghibli films properly but would really like to try some out, so this is ideal for me.

Does anybody have any recommendations where to start with the Netflix rollout please?

Associate
Annoying so expensive on Blu-ray even classics like Akira still hold premium. I have a couple and seen most of them but want them on bd
You checked CEX and HMV for Akira? could have sworn you can easily find a copy of Akira within reasonable price, I have the first blu-ray they released and also the latest revision in steelbook.
Ghost in the shell is quite easy to obtain though at least though lol.

Commissario
Akira was down to something like a fiver for the blu-ray or a tenner for the steelbook bluray new a while back, but it looks like it's not listed at a couple of the normal retailers now (neither Amazon or zavvi have it new as a UK release), I wonder if it's between pressings/due for a reissue (IIRC the last version released included a "digital" copy which probably won't be in new pressings as ultraviolet is dead).

[edit]
Akira is £8 at Zoom for the blu-ray.
https://www.zoom.co.uk/product/akira_with_digital_copy_blu_ray
[/edit]

Re Ghibli prices, IIRC they're often a tenner or two for £15 etc in sales but rarely massively discounted as that tends to happen with DVD's where they might do a run in the high hundreds of thousands and end up with tens of thousands, whilst Anime runs (even for big names) tend to be much smaller so there isn't quite the same pressure to clear stock cheaply to free up space in the store/warehouse

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom