Netflix to cut streaming quality in Europe for 30 days

Caporegime
OP
The picture jumps between 480p to 1080p scene by scene.

Some shots all the edges are really pixellated....their servers must be struggling.

what ISP?

i've had zero issues. however my setup is way above normal or average.

VM - 350MB but I get close to 380MB download.

I have a ubiquiti router, 3 switches and 2 accesspoints. a NanoHD and a AC PRO.

Basically I can get a strong signal anywhere in my house and even my mobile can download at 380MB wireless through walls.

People running stock routers, far away will be having wi-fi issues as well as their 10MB line struggling.

Caporegime
what ISP?

lol, I think it is hilarious that you started this thread screaming from the roof top and then said that.

I don't really care, half the time i am not paying attention to the TV but thought just pointing it out my experience that's all, and its BT infinity.

Caporegime
OP
lol, I think it is hilarious that you started this thread screaming from the roof top and then said that.

I don't really care, half the time i am not paying attention to the TV but thought just pointing it out my experience that's all, and its BT infinity.

It's not.

Basically my isp can handle 15MB so why should I have my streams limited because others have crap Internet?

Which is the issue here.

Caporegime
It's not.

Basically my isp can handle 15MB so why should I have my streams limited because others have crap Internet?

Which is the issue here.
Damn, I’ve got the same internet as you hardwired to the router 6ft away, full HD is streaming at an utterly pathetic 2.24Mpbs.

I know there are bigger issues in the world right down, but I do feel a little shortchanged by this.

Commissario
I'm thinking there is more to this than Netflix cutting the rate, as I've not noticed much of this at all apart from a few second at the start of the stream a couple of times.

I am wondering if some of the ISP's are having capacity issues at their backbone or on some routes that may not be showing up on speed tests (remembering that it's relatively easy for an ISP to give at least some speed tests a priority).

Soldato
I was watching netflix last night, absolutely fine. Just checked now and still fine.
It's not.

Which is the issue here.

It's got nothing to do with other people's connections.

I'm thinking there is more to this than Netflix cutting the rate, as I've not noticed much of this at all apart from a few second at the start of the stream a couple of times.

I am wondering if some of the ISP's are having capacity issues at their backbone or on some routes that may not be showing up on speed tests (remembering that it's relatively easy for an ISP to give at least some speed tests a priority).

Almost certainly.

hIPHb27h.jpg

Right now watching Ozark ^^^

Caporegime
what ISP?

VM - 350MB but I get close to 380MB download.

I have a ubiquiti router, 3 switches and 2 accesspoints. a NanoHD and a AC PRO.

Basically I can get a strong signal anywhere in my house and even my mobile can download at 380MB wireless through walls.

People running stock routers, far away will be having wi-fi issues as well as their 10MB line struggling.

Can you post what the info button on your TV shows on a particular netflix film/series for the bitrate? None of your wifi stuff makes a difference as others are using hardwired connections, with superior bandwidth to yours (although that's not the issue as others have pointed out).

Fort instance, I am watching Rampage right now (released today). A bit pixely and you can see the compression in dark scenes, but not unwatchable. Tv shows 1.43Mbps 1080 resolution and 5.1 sound.

p.s. Just flipped to Ready Player one and thats same resolution and sound but showing 3.5MBps Picture looks much better, but you can still see the pixel/low compression in dark and fast moving scenes

rp2000

Caporegime
Can you post what the info button on your TV shows on a particular netflix film/series for the bitrate? None of your wifi stuff makes a difference as others are using hardwired connections, with superior bandwidth to yours (although that's not the issue as others have pointed out).

Fort instance, I am watching Rampage right now. A bit pixely and you can see the compression in dark scenes, but not unwatchable. Tv shows 1.43Mbps 1080 resolution and 5.1 sound.

rp2000
1.43! Blimey, and I thought my 2.2 was bad. As you say, not unwatchable, but not the experience we pay for.

Caporegime
OP

Fort instance, I am watching Rampage right now. A bit pixely and you can see the compression in dark scenes, but not unwatchable. Tv shows 1.43Mbps 1080 resolution and 5.1 sound.

rp2000

7.62Mbps

Caporegime
hIPHb27h.jpg

Just turned on Ozark S03E01 (Not a show I watch, but just to compare) and showing as 2160p, 5.1, 7.62Mbps for me. I don't think I can make it 1080p on a 4k TV, to compare equally :( Dolby Vision auto activates for this show, but not sure what that does in terms of bitrate.

rp2000

Last edited:
Caporegime
hIPHb27h.jpg

Just turned on Ozark S03E01 (Not a show I watch, but just to compare) and showing as 2160p, 5.1, 7.62Mbps for me. I don't think I can make it 1080p on a 4k TV, to compare equally :( Dolby Vision auto activates for this show, but not sure what that does in terms of bitrate.

rp2000[/QUOTE]

not much. DV is just metadata, it’s uses very little bitrate.

Caporegime
7.62Mbps

I think that's as good as it will get to be honest as every 4k title I try hits that rate, I think the throttling or whatever started a few days earlier in Spain than in UK, and I am certain all 4k titles have halved in bitrate (as mentioned earlier this used to be 15.25Mbps before). The only thing I don;t really know about is whether HDR plays any part in it.

not much. DV is just metadata, it’s uses very little bitrate.

Thanks!

rp2000

Soldato
Bear in mind also, audio bitrate is reported separately. The numbers you're inspecting are pure video bitrate (that will include HDR but no audio data or metadata)

Last edited:
Caporegime
1.43! Blimey, and I thought my 2.2 was bad. As you say, not unwatchable, but not the experience we pay for.
Bear in mind i'm 99% certain it's dependant on the specific title as well. Unless you're as bored as me and are watching Rampage too :)

Bear in mind also, audio nitrate is reported separately. The numbers you're inspecting are pure video bitrate (that will include HDR but no audio data or metadata)
Good to know. I don't think there is a way to show that on TVs, which I think is what most people seem to be posting the stats from. I'd happily accept stereo sound in exchange for the original bitrate before Friday, when La Casa de Papel s4 is released :)

I mean really this thread is just a load of techy people comparing and complaining in a semi harmless way :) We would all happily drop to 1Mbps or give up Netflix for a month if the deaths in our respective countries reduced overnight!!!

rp2000

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
They say isps are struggling but I'd say certain isps in certain areas in which they are oversubscribed are struggling.

I'm having zero issues getting my full bandwidth.

So for me I could watch Netflix in 4k on 25 TV's at the same time using my single connection.

People saying that they are struggling must be in very densely populated over subscribed areas.

I'm okay though so in reality there was no need to downgrade me. However I don't think they could have allowed people like me access to the proper bit rates and others the ones that have been halved.

I'm still downloading game updates at ridiculous speeds from origin, steam and battle net.

I don't think 15Mbps is a lot of bandwidth but I do have a nearly 400MB connection.

I think isps should be held to account. Forced to upgrade their networks in all areas. They should be able to handle this situation with ease. However profits matter more to them. So they buy the bare minimum and then when it hits the limit they do nothing.

Is 5G the answer and will it solve this problem?

Or will that network also crumble when under load?

Back
Top Bottom