Netgear DG834GT

Soldato
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this router and what you think? I am looking at getting UK online 22mb which requires this router to be bought with it. My main concern is how well it copes with large numbers of http connections since in the past with Netgear routers I have found they tend to create massive latency with large numbers of connections. I used to have UK online 8mb which came with the Actiontec GT701, this was fine and the router worked really well but 22mb is very tempting :D

Soldato
I got one when I joined and it was terrible. It kept dropping the connection every 20 minutes. In the end I repalced it with the Billion on my sig. Haven't had any problems since.

Soldato
It's a crap router in my experience. Bought one a while ago when I was at my parents' place and it frequent hung so it needed powering off and on again. Wireless range is also pretty poor. I tried all 3 firmware versions and tons of other options. Have had 2 other routers since then and it's fine. My mum ended up ditching it and getting a Belkin router and that's been solid too.

In short, I'm glad to be rid of it now. There's tons of other postings from people with similar experiences to mine on many forums so if you do go with 22mbit, see how you get on with it but be prepared to buy a new router.

Associate
whilst im not on an LLU exchange i do have the router for my adsl max, not had a single drop out or lockup of the router, i can use use my laptop anywhere in the house even in my loft in a victorian house (think walls)
very easy to setup

Soldato
The GT version of this router is awful for some reason. I had a quick look on the web once as someone i knew was having issue with and there loads and loads of problems with it. Its as bad as the BT Home Hub

Soldato
Absolutely love the 834GT.
I've owned one for a little while now and seen some terrible firmware releases for it but things seem to be stable with the latest (and I can only assume last due to newer products) version.

From a wireless point of view it covers my whole house.
It is physically located in our upstairs computer room, however I can roam the whole house with my laptop and get a good connection.
As an ADSL Router/Modem it does the job just fine - I'm on ADSL MAX and I've been connecting at 8MB with it more or less since day one of me moving to MAX and I regularly see the maximum speeds such a connection can give me.

I've just logged into my router.
The LAN/WLAN has got an uptime of 895 minutes - so that's what, 37 days?
I've got 340 on my WAN - 14 days, that seems about right since the last time I had any hassle with Nildram.

Back
Top Bottom