Network/Internet speed performance

Associate
Hi

Just looking for someone to help.

My computer is connected to the home network using a Netgear WPN111 usb adapter, which is a good few years old now.

It isnt currently feasible to run a network cable from my router (downstairs) to the room where my computer is located, so wireless is really the only option.

My current ISP is virgin, i am not 100% what speed it is running but its an adsl line, its not cable or fibre optic or anything.

I find that my connection struggles to stream 'on demand' programs and im always 1-2 bars off full signal when playing CODMW2 etc, according to the 'tab' screen.

Would i benefit from a more up to date wireless adapter which can receive more traffic, i see there are ones on the market that can do 300Mbps.
Do i have any other options other than changing my ISP?

Thanks

Soldato
Will be in the control panel for the router,don`t have a dlink so i cant say where
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-2640r/DSL-2640R_QIG_v1.0.pdf
Open a web browser and enter the address http://192.168.1.1
• The default username is ‘admin’. The default password is also ‘admin’.
• If you have changed the password and can not remember it, you will need to reset the router to the factory default setting (steps in question 2), which will set the password back to ‘admin’.

above taken from that manual

Associate
OP
Thanks

here are the stats as requested

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 6272 kbps 448 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 5.5 19.0
Attenuation (dB): 47.5 26.5
Output Power (dBm): 20.0 12.0

Super Frames: 80482 80486
RS Correctable Errors: 8404 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 3 0

HEC Errors: 60 0
Total Cells: 15039 4969
Data Cells: 15775 5605
Bit Errors: 0 0

Man of Honour
Bit techy but you might wanna use InSSIDer to check what other wireless networks are in your area - other networks overlapping your own can degrade performance.

Associate
OP
Thanks Rroff i have installed and ran that program. It has picked up 2 different signals.

My signal is on channel 6 at -67 dBM
1 neighbour is on Channel 2 at -84 signal strength dBM
and another is on channel 1 at -91 dBM

Should i be making any changes? Or is it just more of a problem if multiple networks are using the same channel band?

Soldato
With those stats you should have no trouble streaming on demand shows.Try the lappy or base station by the router i.e. in the same room to see if it will stream properly,if so it may benefit you to get some `N` class kit as it is supposed to have a better range/throughput
or possibly look into homeplugs :)

Man of Honour
Homeplugs would be better than wireless but it is more likely to be the ISP, as Virgin ADSL is dire. Have a look on Samknows for a decent LLU provider like Sky, O2, BE etc.

Back
Top Bottom