Network Power Adapters

Associate
Hello Everyone,

I am moving my PC tower to another room in my home and the problem I now have is network connection of my tower PC to the router and the outside world.

Are the 2 items below are what I need to purchase ! ?
As I have my PC tower next to the router the cable is quite short.
Moving the the PC tower to another means I will use the house power sot ringmain as the LAN

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-...6ed91&pd_rd_wg=ApcKQ&pd_rd_i=B01H74VKZU&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Po...70f95&pd_rd_wg=iUllJ&pd_rd_i=B00S6DBGIS&psc=1

Thats a good price, the only thing I am not sure about is how critical the speed is from 1000mbs v 1200mbs !

I bet your ethernet ports don't support over 10/100/1000 anyway so the max throughput you going to get is 1000. ;) Does your ISP connection rate at this speed as well? :p

Homeplugs speed usually don't rate what they say they do either because they need room for overhead. If the elec cable is bad e.t.c I haven't tested anything over 1000 as I don't have any equipment that rates over that.

Problem with cable is the location is upstairs front of house from a downstairs back of the house !

It's literally two holes, some cable clips and a couple of surface mount RJ45 faceplates in patten boxes. If you mount the RJ45's at 0.5m as you're supposed to, you don't even need a massive ladder to get up there to drill the holes.

Don't expect anywhere near advertised speeds with powerline adapters and in terms of overall speed and reliability it is heavily dependant on the individual house wiring, but either of those powerline adapters should be fine.

It is far from an ideal set up but it is a convenient one, the obvious ideal solution is to run a cable which may seem tricky (or not possible if you aren't allowed to drill holes) but when you offset that with the fact that you will have a solid, reliable, full speed Ethernet link it is fully worth investigating this option.

I have had many sets of powerline and they are great, but you'll be lucky to get 300Mb over distance and if you are unlucky with your wiring like I was in new place, my av2000 whic is the same kit you hav linked would only give me 40-70Mb.

To other rooms in the house we saw 500Mb.

Try and wire if you can. I took a 25m flat network cable around the carpet line in my house, needed all that to go the 5m to the router around rooms and through doors, for the most part I didn't even need to pull carpet, just squished it down the side between carpet and skirting board, its not visible, only in doors, because I was lazy and didn't notch, being flat I warmed it a bit put some bends in and it travels nicely through door perfectly bending with door frame :D

I need to do a route to upstairs there are already routes through in cupboards etc for water/electric etc, its just picking it up through floorboards, when I next feel up to it I will but for now wifi works

Last edited:
I was using powerlines until recently the max speed i could get was 20mb on a 80/20mb connection. I switched to wifi for a few weeks but again the Sky router wifi was iffy giving some good & bad speeds. I have just today taken delivery of my Tenda Nova MW6 mesh system and connect my pc to one of the nodes via Ethernet and im getting a good 65/18mb not to mention the improved WIFI around the house.

Not something you could do for yourself?

The component cost would be minimal. Your own labour would effectively be free.

It isn't a complicated job. As you can spend as much time as you'd like you could probably end up with a tidier solution.

I was thinking of this myself, I just had a problem with my phone line and was shown that the line actually comes down from roof and already goes around the bottom of my building, I could snip and route it the other way, I wouldn't even need any more cable, doing this would stop me from needing wifi etc, but I tested the latency with a direct connection and my Wifi APs and there is negligible ping impact, there is also no speed benefit, so probably not worth the effort.

Have you tried some decent Wifi @Tysonator I do the same connection front ground to back upstairs of house via Wifi, I'm getting low latency and great bandwidth, granted only a small house, probably 9m router to router, obviously wifi performance like Powerline is house dependent so YMMV but I was surprised.

Tested my AV2000 powerline again recently to my PCs in their new locations only netted 30Mb, with my new wifi setup, it is ~900Mb, that is pretty much close to Gigabit wired at another location to another machine its doing 600Mb, latest Wifi gear seems pretty decent.

Back
Top Bottom