Network problem - Clarkconnect

Soldato
Hi, the following diagram is the network we have currently in our student home

network.jpg

It doesn't actually work yet as I have been having trouble getting the internet connection passed through from the router onto the clarkconnect box.

I can get all the PC's on the network connected to the central server, however *** DHCP settings that are passed to the PC seem to be wrong with the gateway/dns servers they are assigning.

basically, I disable the DHCP server on the router, set the IP // subnet as 192.168.1.1 // 255.255.255.0 then set in clarkconnect the external connection as the ip of the router. now I've managed to get CC to retrieve the correct DNS ip's from my ISP however I am just unable to get the internet connection passed through.

When setting up CC it says to select the DSL/PPPOE setting for the external connection, however my ISP only authenticates with PPPOA. Anyone know what on earth I do?

Cheers.

Permabanned
Should the external
network connection on the CC box (the "red" connection if I remember the CC terminology correctly) not be set to a unique IP on the router's subnet e.g. 192.168.1.2 with the default gw on this connection 192.168.1.1? Must admit thats a pretty complex network for home use- what's the CC box being used for? bandwidth throttling? proxy? mail server? file storage?

btw this is my first ever post in the Networks forum \o/

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
edit - reread your initial post, it's ADSL so ignore me!

Is the internet connection cable or adsl mate? If it's cable, wouldn't it be easier to just get rid of the router and have the cable modem directly connected to the CC box?

Just wondering :)

Soldato
OP
It's maxdsl (ADSL)... we don't have another ADSL modem/router unfortunately, the router is a draytek vigor 2600.

Yeah, makes sense assigning the unique IP for the router, and yeah it is a very complex setup :( but due to the nature of the users on it (my friend plays enemy down counterstrike matches, the other two are heavy p2p downloaders which we aim to stop due to low cap and the affect on the pings)

also we need a large file server as we have about 200 DVD's we own which need to be ripped/compressed and put on the file server as well as needing regular backing up of my friends pc as he's a web developer.

Back
Top Bottom