Network running slow

Associate
I'm seeking a little help if possible. I've run an outdoor Cat7 cable between two rooms from downstairs to upstairs. I've terminated each end with a wall socket and I get 8 green lights on my tester. If I run an internet speed test I get about 80Mbps. However if I run a direct cable up the stairs between the same gigabit switch and my PC, I get the correct speed of about 930Mbps. I've tried replacing the outdoor cable and re- making the terminations. Every time I get 8 green lights and every time the speed is slow. I've swapped out the patch cables from the switch to the wall and from the wall to the PC upstairs.
Each time I get about 80Mbps and then if I run a fable direct, missing out the two sockets and the outdoor cable, I get 930Mbps. I'm waiting for two new sockets to arrive. Is there anything else I can try?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Don
Cat 7 isn't something you should be using in the home.

Proper cat 7 is a pain to terminate and the majority of stuff labelled as cat 7 is just rubbish.

Buy some good quality (Excel, Connectix etc) Cat5e or Cat6, and matching good quality euro mods and you'll have no issues.

Associate
OP
pmXqHFvXj
pnyJG1Pfj

Here are my two
terminations. I also replaced the Cat7 with Cat6. I've still got about 80Mbps via this cable or 900Mbps via a long direct patch up the stairs ( which isn't sustainable but show that the speed is there.
I'll gladly take any suggestions, this is driving me mad....

Don
pmXqHFvXj
pnyJG1Pfj

Here are my two
terminations.
Can't see any obvious issues. What make are the Euromods?

900Mbps via a long direct patch up the stairs ( which isn't sustainable but show that the speed is there.
Is this with RJ45 connectors on each end?

I'll gladly take any suggestions, this is driving me mad....
Have you tested your patch leads? Could be that one of those actually only has 4 wires connected and is giving you 100Mb Speeds.

Are the connections actually showing as Gigabit under Windows and/or on the correct colour light on the switch?

Last edited:
Don
I edited my post above, but have you actually tested your patch leads?

And is the PC connecting at Gigabit speed / The switch showing gigabit speed e.g. correct colour LED?

* If it's actually connecting at Gigabit speed, then throughput can only be affected by interference (in which case you might actually need shielded cable, or change the route your cable goes e.g. if it currently goes past any major electrical cables)

yes long patch has RJ45s on each end, bought ready made. Sockets are from Leenue via Amazon.

Buy cheap, buy twice (although in this case, the chinese junk from Amazon is more expensive than good quality items).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
All points taken, thank you. I've just re-terminated everything, got 8 green lights and still only 90Mbps. I'll replace everything as per suggestions. Cheers,

Associate
It's actually a bit funny given some recent posts on the board, but, this might be an instance where the gigabit switch might need swapping to a new one to try out and see if this issue still persists.

And OP @MikePholme can you confirm that your Internet connection is actually 930Mbs roughly, and not 80Mbs?

Associate
OP
If I take a long patch lead straight from the switch to the PC, a variety of internet speed tests give around 930Mbps. I've assumed that this rules out the switch. Yes my connection is a BT 900Mbps fttp.

Associate
If I take a long patch lead straight from the switch to the PC, a variety of internet speed tests give around 930Mbps. I've assumed that this rules out the switch. Yes my connection is a BT 900Mbps fttp.
Thank you for confirming your internet speed.

Again, as others have said, your cabling looks OK. You could swap them again, but given the issue only starts to happen when you have other connections plugged into your switch, that would be my next port of call to switch out for a replacement to see if that still happens. Many unmanaged gigabit switches can be cheaply obtained to do a quick swap and see if the issue persists.

This will also give you a point to where you check the other lines leaving the switch to each location and check those lines and connections (one at a time connecting back into the switch) instead of looking at the whole network (when it's all connected together).

Associate
Is it actually connecting at Gigabit speeds though?
That's an interesting point that I once found, had me a bit confused once because it wasn't immediately obvious. I had a cable showing as being connected at gigabit speed on the switch and PC, but only giving 100Mb/Sec speeds, changed cable and not just syncing at 1G, but giving 1G speed.

Associate
OP
Thank you again for all the suggestions. I'm going to keep investigating while I wait for new punch down tool, cable and sockets to arrive. I've swapped the switch out and eliminated that from the variables. I'm going to carry on re-making the terminations too. It's possible that my skills, which used to be fine on a 100mb network just aren't up to gigabit requirements.

Back
Top Bottom