Network setup

Soldato
I posted a while ago about setting up a network http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17617736. Today i've been trying to set it up. I have the parts listed in that post. I have successfully connected via this machine (on ethernet PCI adapter thing) and via my machine (via USB wireless adapter). There are of course problems though. Most significantly, this computer. It is incredibly laggy now, all the time. These words are appearing late and the mouse movement is jerky, it is nearly unusable tbh. I have no idea why this is :confused: . Also, on my computer, whenever I send information (ie, entering text on google) it comes up with "you are sending over an unencrypted network", even though I have 64bit encryption enabled and it even says so on the connection information in my system tray? WTF. This machine is laggy even with mine off and unconnected btw. Any help appreciated

Soldato
Sounds like you either have wonky drivers or that the load isnt being offloaded onto the adapter instead its being processed by the machines CPU. What does task manager report?

Any processes at 100%?

Soldato
OP
Interestingly, it's not being laggy at the moment. I should have mentioned also though that at startup (after the desktop has appeared, but before all the system tray icons have loaded) I get a lot of noises from the computers internal speaker, wierd blips, sounds a bit like the dialing sound :confused: , is that normal?

EDIT: You replied whilst I was typing that :) , yeah, I will check the drivers, i'm not sure if the installation did finish entirely. At the moment, it is fine, I have a feeling it goes wierd when I connect to it with mine aswell but will check for sure. Task manager shows the GA311 card running, and it has an icon in system tray.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dr.EM said:
Interestingly, it's not being laggy at the moment. I should have mentioned also though that at startup (after the desktop has appeared, but before all the system tray icons have loaded) I get a lot of noises from the computers internal speaker, wierd blips, sounds a bit like the dialing sound :confused: , is that normal?

That would be a modem trying to dial out. Check you internet settings, under connections to see if there is a dial up connection present, if so, check the box that says "never dial a connection"

Soldato
OP
OMG, I never installed the drivers :o . The instruction set never clearly said to, but I've noticed the CD now. I will redo the setup now I think. Is that also likely to be why the encryption didn't work?

Soldato
OP
Bah, they won't install anyhow! I get to the point where it "detects computer settings", then everytime it gets to 100% I get the same message and it won't go further. Useless. The ADSL is connectecd to line 1, there's even the light on the front showing it so (which it says must be lit), and for that matter, I couldn't be on here if it wasn't! Any ideas how to get past this utterly stupid problem :mad: . Is there a specific password I need (though I can't figure out why it's asking for one anyhow)

Soldato
Dr.EM said:
Bah, they won't install anyhow! I get to the point where it "detects computer settings", then everytime it gets to 100% I get the same message and it won't go further. Useless. The ADSL is connectecd to line 1, there's even the light on the front showing it so (which it says must be lit), and for that matter, I couldn't be on here if it wasn't! Any ideas how to get past this utterly stupid problem :mad: . Is there a specific password I need (though I can't figure out why it's asking for one anyhow)

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2180/bsdetectingpr1.gif[/IM][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/1616/bswtfil7.gif[/IM][/URL][/QUOTE]

Sure you haven't set a password? Have you tried no password, eg just pressing enter?

Soldato
OP
Yep, tried nothing, "admin" as listed in the guide and the password for BT (which is also the one I used earlier to set it up). Nothing works, but i'm not sure why it wants one anyhow :confused: . The message "connect the phone line" seems unrelated to "password" to me? I obviously hasn't lost the details I put in earlier, so mabye I need them gone first, but I don't know how. Either way, this machine should be getting upgraded to Win XP anytime, so mabye it will work out after that. I set it up beforehand in hope of using the network to backup files with (though I actually don't know how to send them, do you need a network place/shared file area?)

EDIT: just found the lag has gone when I close the PCI network cards "smart wizard" in the system tray :confused: . Possibly something to do with that card then.

For now then, how to move files between computers? I assume by having these computers connected by a router, the are essentially in a LAN, and files can be moved between them, I just don't know how :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom