Network share on one PC refuses all fixes

Associate
I have a Dell Laptop in my home network that, for many months, has refused to share its shared contents. It used to work. I have tried ALL the fixes suggested across the internet - many times. It always says "Windows cannot access...You do not have permission...." It is setup the same as all other W10 computers on the network. This is a last ditch search for a novel bit of troubleshooting before I go to the extreme and reinstall W10 afresh on the offending laptop.

As background - I have run a Windows home network of 3+ computers since the late 1990s, so I know the basics and a bit more, and have managed many glitches over the years. But not this one. For what it is worth, I suspect that the problem lies in names, accounts, profiles or credentials, if only because I find these more difficult to understand and diagnose!

Associate
Have you signed into the laptop with the full password in the past or have you always used the pin?

I had a similer problem and descovered sharing would not work unless the computer had been properly signed in at least once with the full password.

Until I did this I would get errors saying password or username was wrong even though It was correct!

Associate
OP
Thanks. I've been round the password buoy, but your suggestion made me retry with something different, but still to no avail.

A full reinstall beckons....

Man of Honour
I have a Dell Laptop in my home network that, for many months, has refused to share its shared contents. It used to work. I have tried ALL the fixes suggested across the internet - many times. It always says "Windows cannot access...You do not have permission...." It is setup the same as all other W10 computers on the network. This is a last ditch search for a novel bit of troubleshooting before I go to the extreme and reinstall W10 afresh on the offending laptop.

As background - I have run a Windows home network of 3+ computers since the late 1990s, so I know the basics and a bit more, and have managed many glitches over the years. But not this one. For what it is worth, I suspect that the problem lies in names, accounts, profiles or credentials, if only because I find these more difficult to understand and diagnose!
What is the firewall profile set to of the affected PC? Have you tried to disable the firewall completely?

Associate
Have you tried qualifying the username when logging in? i.e. if the machine with the share is called "HAL-9000" and your username is "Dave" then log in as "HAL-9000\Dave" rather than just "Dave".

Back
Top Bottom