Networking Hell!!!

Associate
Well i have two computers( comp 1 xp pro 32bit) (comp 2 xp home 32 bit) that i want to connect to the internet.
I have just purchased a Netgear(GS605) 5-port gigabit Ethernet Switch (wired) 10/100/1000Mbps and two Ethernet cables RJ-45 (cat 5e).
I have an NTL 250 Modem with 20meg connection connected with Ethernet.
I connected everything together with computer 1 and computer 2.
Computer 1 has internet connection, but computer 2 has nothing.
I then turned off the modem then the router (from the mains) then both the computers (normal shutdown), then turned on modem ( when the lights had settled), turned on the router then both computers.
Then no connection on computer 1, but connection on computer 2.
Did the same as above..connection computer 1, none on comp 2...wtf!!!
i have even used a program called Wnsockxpfix on both compters but no luck.
So much for Plug and Play!!!
Any help would be gladley taken Thanks

it will still work with a switch, all a router is is a switch with a dedicated port from modem usually :)

Just manually set the ip's on the pc's to the same range etc

(appologies if you worked this out)

lsg1r said:
it will still work with a switch, all a router is is a switch with a dedicated port from modem usually :)

Cheers I`m new to this networking stuff...so where do i go and how do i do this?

lsg1r said:

Yes, basic networking will work but the Internet connection won't since a basic Netgear switch doesn't have the ability to route traffic.

A router is a lot more than 'a switch with a dedicated port' as it not only builds up a forwarding database so it knows which port each MAC address is available on (which is basically what a switch does), but it routes traffic between two different subnets (ie. your Internet connection and LAN connection) as well as allows you to use NAT (to have multiple devices behind one Internet IP address). As a bog-standard Netgear switch does not have any routing capabilities nor does it have any NAT functionality, no, it will not work.

The only options are to buy a router or to put a 2nd NIC in one of the PCs and use software connection sharing.

Phemo said:
Yes, basic networking will work but the Internet connection won't since a basic Netgear switch doesn't have the ability to route traffic.

A router is a lot more than 'a switch with a dedicated port' as it not only builds up a forwarding database so it knows which port each MAC address is available on (which is basically what a switch does), but it routes traffic between two different subnets (ie. your Internet connection and LAN connection) as well as allows you to use NAT (to have multiple devices behind one Internet IP address). As a bog-standard Netgear switch does not have any routing capabilities nor does it have any NAT functionality, no, it will not work.

The only options are to buy a router or to put a 2nd NIC in one of the PCs and use software connection sharing.

Thanks mate...I looked on a competitor's own website and they classed the netgear i bought as a wired router, so whats going on here?

Two edits in one thread - might I suggest reading the rules before you win a holiday?

Tolien

They're idiots :) It's just a switch and can do nothing more than connect multiple ethernet devices together. I did a search on their site for GS605 and it does clearly state it's a switch though.

well i took the Switch back and got my money back.
I the used the RJ-45 (cat 5e) cable and connected pc1 and pc2 together and got internet connect connection on both computers without a router..Great.
The problem is ive set the network up also to share drives and folders, the wizard says everything is set up correctly, but when i look at my network places there is nothing there + when i try to view workgroup computers it cant find it or cant access it, what am doing wrong?
I`m running internet security on both computers which is the same software.
Ive gone into personal firewall settings+advanced on pc2 I have the options of.
Default Block Inbound Netbios
Default Block Inbound Netbios name.
And
Default Allow Inbound Netbios (shared networks)
Default Allow Inbound Netbios Name (Shared Networks)

On pc1 (main connection to internet)
Default Block Inbound Netbios
Default Block inbound netbios Name, but not (shared network option) on this computer firewall.
what am i doing wrong?
Ive also looked in all of the netwoking threads, but nothing helps.
Thanks.

Switch off firewalls and then try. If it works, it means the firewall isnt configured properly. Have you run the network setup wizard on XP? I find this sometimes helps when you have problems. Save the file it gives you and run on the other PC.

PhillyDee said:
Switch off firewalls and then try. If it works, it means the firewall isnt configured properly. Have you run the network setup wizard on XP? I find this sometimes helps when you have problems. Save the file it gives you and run on the other PC.

Cheers matey...done what you said turned off both firewalls and started the network from scatch...all works fine!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom