Networking PC....again

Caporegime
Yeah yeah, probably done to death but i'd like some direct advice from peoples.

New house, new build, I want network from the downstairs understairs cupboard, up to bedroom two in the small cut out.

https://ibb.co/2PTnmGg
ocuk-plans.jpg

Thoughts? Without ripping everything up, the only 'easy' way I can see is going outside and in the wall where the under stairs cupboard is :(

Caporegime
OP
A new build, you say? Have them install the cabling during the build. And flood-wire the place.

That would be great, however I already live in it.

They wouldn't do jack whilst it was being built, apparently it was 'beyond that stage' when I even asked to get a power socket put into the area i'm talking about, that's a separate job I'll be doing at some point.

Soldato
If you can, route the cables up to the attic then around the edge and down for each bedroom and the lounge. You could make a hole in the cavity wall insulation so as to not go outside. If you can't go into the cavity and don't want to route the cable outside you can use thin (8mm x 12mm) trunking in the corners. Once painted it's not really noticable.

https://www.cablinginstall.com/home/article/16466195/running-a-cable-down-an-insulated-cavity-wall

There's also somethging called fish tape.

Caporegime
OP
If you can, route the cables up to the attic then around the edge and down for each bedroom and the lounge. You could make a hole in the cavity wall insulation so as to not go outside. If you can't go into the cavity and don't want to route the cable outside you can use thin (8mm x 12mm) trunking in the corners. Once painted it's not really noticable.

https://www.cablinginstall.com/home/article/16466195/running-a-cable-down-an-insulated-cavity-wall

There's also somethging called fish tape.

Hmm, technically I may be able to go into the airing cupboard (Room 2), then up into the attic.

From there, there is a possibility I may be able to do what you are referring to, however I'm not sure how I personally would do it in all honesty! Not heard of fish tape but I understand the relevance of it after looking at it...May need to try get someone else involved!

Soldato
Not an easy task if doing it yourself. If your happy to pay someone, that will be the best option for you.

I had a go myself, effectively getting the cable from the understairs cupboard to your 'bedroom 1' but you could use the same method to get the cable in to the loft like Quartz has suggested. You will no doubt come across lots of horizontal wooden battens (I think the correct term is noggin) which will be in the way of getting the cable where you need it. Most people will make a hole above and below these, I drilled a small 'slot' so I had less repair work afterwards.

Here is my log: https://imgur.com/a/bt5E4j0

Caporegime
OP
Not an easy task if doing it yourself. If your happy to pay someone, that will be the best option for you.

I had a go myself, effectively getting the cable from the understairs cupboard to your 'bedroom 1' but you could use the same method to get the cable in to the loft like Quartz has suggested. You will no doubt come across lots of horizontal wooden battens (I think the correct term is noggin) which will be in the way of getting the cable where you need it. Most people will make a hole above and below these, I drilled a small 'slot' so I had less repair work afterwards.

Here is my log: https://imgur.com/a/bt5E4j0

Yeah, sadly I know exactly what will happen and it won't be a case of just pushing a cable down. :p

I'm trying to think of other ways to do it and not coming up with much. I guess I could ask about and see who can do it locally.

Thank you for the link too...my other option is to go down into the toilet and along to the understairs that way (as patching up holes wont matter as much as it's out of view), I'll have to have a play and tie it in with decorating or something.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are the rooms decorated ?

If not just book a plasterer for a day, then the week prior to him arriving, chase the walls out, run your cables EVERYWHERE, then he will come and patch everything up, then you just need to paint over a couple of weeks later.

Sounds like a massive hassle but reality if you get someone else to plaster its not that bad.

Fish tape doesn't really work on new builds because interior walls are stud walls and will have noggins, and exterior walls will be dot n dab plasterboard and its nigh on impossible to fish behind them (unless its a really short distance)

I will likely face this dilemma when I move as well, current house was easy, I got the builder to run cables everywhere for me, then I just terminated everything when I moved in, going to feel like a huge step backwards to switch everything over to wifi and powerline when I first move in.

Associate
I don’t think there is an easy route without taking up floor boarding or cutting out plaster board. If I were doing this myself, with my range of DIY skills, I’d be knocking out some of the plaster boarding under the stairs around the D4 mark. I’d then look at cutting the floor boarding at first floor level and routing to Bd 2.

Going straight up to loft space and coming down to bd 2, will need some knocking out and repair of plaster boarding , can be done, but more,time consuming, less straightforward and potentially messy.

You could consider going through the bulk head, but you don’t know what’s there and you still have to make good.

However, my father, who is now well into his 80’s, possibly the best artist in burnt clay,
known, a master craftsman, a person who could turn his hands to anything installed the following equation with jobs like this;
You either have the time and skills todo the job yourself, or the money to get someone else to do it -if you don’t have either, don’t do it!
Sadly my dad is in the latter stages of dementia and does not know one end of a trowel from another, but he still reminds me of that test!
Good luck with your job

Soldato
You will no doubt come across lots of horizontal wooden battens (I think the correct term is noggin) which will be in the way of getting the cable where you need it.

Not inside the cavity wall you shouldn't.

Fish tape doesn't really work on new builds because interior walls are stud walls and will have noggins,

I'm suggesting going beyond the stud wall and through the first layer of bricks into the cavity.

Caporegime
OP
Are the rooms decorated ?

If not just book a plasterer for a day, then the week prior to him arriving, chase the walls out, run your cables EVERYWHERE, then he will come and patch everything up, then you just need to paint over a couple of weeks later.

Sounds like a massive hassle but reality if you get someone else to plaster its not that bad.

Fish tape doesn't really work on new builds because interior walls are stud walls and will have noggins, and exterior walls will be dot n dab plasterboard and its nigh on impossible to fish behind them (unless its a really short distance)

I will likely face this dilemma when I move as well, current house was easy, I got the builder to run cables everywhere for me, then I just terminated everything when I moved in, going to feel like a huge step backwards to switch everything over to wifi and powerline when I first move in.

Yes, we purchased after most stuff was already up and done sadly, otherwise I'd have been all over it. :(

Soldato
But new build cavities are full of insulation, even more of a nightmare.

Yeah here is a pic from my CCTV install. This is an exterior wall where I put a double gang box box for 4x data points in my office. Although, there was a cavity between the brick and the insulation, I am certain as I felt it when I drilled through. Nightmare to try and get a cable in that though I can imagine!

IXfj6M9h.jpg
fDLTxuJh.jpg

Caporegime
OP
I don’t think there is an easy route without taking up floor boarding or cutting out plaster board. If I were doing this myself, with my range of DIY skills, I’d be knocking out some of the plaster boarding under the stairs around the D4 mark. I’d then look at cutting the floor boarding at first floor level and routing to Bd 2.

Going straight up to loft space and coming down to bd 2, will need some knocking out and repair of plaster boarding , can be done, but more,time consuming, less straightforward and potentially messy.

You could consider going through the bulk head, but you don’t know what’s there and you still have to make good.

However, my father, who is now well into his 80’s, possibly the best artist in burnt clay,
known, a master craftsman, a person who could turn his hands to anything installed the following equation with jobs like this;
You either have the time and skills todo the job yourself, or the money to get someone else to do it -if you don’t have either, don’t do it!
Sadly my dad is in the latter stages of dementia and does not know one end of a trowel from another, but he still reminds me of that test!
Good luck with your job

Cheers, I'll look at what you're suggesting on a bigger screen and see what I make of it.

I have an in-law he's decent at doing this sort of thing so we're capable ourselves, I'm just trying to minimise damage all round

Not inside the cavity wall you shouldn't.

I'm suggesting going beyond the stud wall and through the first layer of bricks into the cavity.

Oh right....don't think that'll be easy.

But new build cavities are full of insulation, even more of a nightmare.

What he said...insulation everywhere

Back
Top Bottom