Never easy to simply see other network machines.

Soldato
This is bugging me a little.

I have a horrible habit of waffling, so the basics are that I cannot get a Linux PC to see the files on a Windows PC.

I can see the NAS Drives, but I want to see my Server and its not seeing it.
I can see my Main PC, but when I try to open it, i get told that it does not exist?

SAMBA is installed but nothing has been setup.

I will leave it there or I will end up typing loads of irrelenavt stuff that just wastes your time.

Associate
What version of Windows and what version of Samba are you using?

I forget the details but later versions of Windows do not work natively with samba v1 or 2 (iirc).

Soldato
OP
Yes, its absolutely a naughty thing I got with Win 10

Windows 10 64Bit
The Exact v of Samba I will need to get back top you, however, its the absolutely latest version.

Right now, I put Mint 19.3 Cinnamon just yesterday as a fresh new attempt.

It saw, and accessed files on my Server ( Windows Server 2012 / 64 ) but it failed to access files on my Main PC ( Win10/64 )

It failed by telling me that it had timed out, but it only gave it the a second or two.

I did ( previously ) manage to gain access by manually entering the name of the PC in the address bar, and this worked before, but it has not done now.

It does seem to be some kind of deliberate act by MS to stop the progress of Linux, but thats probably me being paranoid, cos in the past I have always found Linux and Windows to be easy to sort out, cos it never failed to work right out the box really. But these days, I do suffer from mental issues and so yeah, I need help all the time cos Im a spaz. ( Thats true unfortunately )

Soldato
OP
Ok, small update that might help...

I have installed KUBUNTU 19.3 onto my Main Linux PC
I have MINT 19.3 Cinamon, and I think its EXACT SAMBA Version = 2:4.7.6+dfsg-ubuntu-0ubuntu2.15

They are both allowing me to access and not access, the exact same thing.
The MAIN PC. Im ok with the Media PC and my daughters PC and my Windows Laptop ( all Win10 )

I cannot however access the Main PC and that is also Windows 10
All versions of all O/Ses are 64 Bit, and they are all fully up to date.

When I try to open the icon for the Main PC I get a dialog box come up with

- - - - -
Unable to mount location
Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection timed out​
- - - - -

So, it is surely a Windows problem?

Anyway, anything that can help will be great.

Soldato
Might be a silly question - but is your firewall allowing this in Windows 10? There's also that odd thing in Windows where it has different rules for home or public networks that might be worth a look?

Soldato
OP
I have not done anything with the firewall, so I will have a look to see if anything has been done although what, I dont know?
And yes, Public / private - they are ll setup the same. I will however change it.. I think its public right now, but I will change it and then change it back, restarting both times and who knows?

Thanks.

Soldato
I have not done anything with the firewall, so I will have a look to see if anything has been done although what, I dont know?
And yes, Public / private - they are ll setup the same. I will however change it.. I think its public right now, but I will change it and then change it back, restarting both times and who knows?

Thanks.
You want windows to be seeing your home network as private for the easiest experience - public is for when put and about or using a network that you don't control

Edit: You might find this useful - https://askubuntu.com/questions/1038630/access-windows-10-shared-folder-from-ubuntu-18-04

Soldato
Check if you have smb1 enabled, can't remember the exact powershell command but it is something like
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -smb1protocol. Server 2019 has the same security measure enabled which makes accessing slightly older nas storage difficult.

Soldato
OP
You want windows to be seeing your home network as private for the easiest experience - public is for when put and about or using a network that you don't control

Edit: You might find this useful - https://askubuntu.com/questions/1038630/access-windows-10-shared-folder-from-ubuntu-18-04

Oh ruddy heck...

I clicked on the link and had a bit of a quick look, and the moment I saw "client max protocol" I realised that I had not editted the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and added the workgroup and protocol lines.

Its done... I feel a complete moron now... I have had to do that a few times now, but it simply went past me and I didnt think!!!

And as for the PUBLIC/PRIVATE, yes, I would normally have it as PRIVATE however, when I looked on the Server, it was on Public and so, since that was being accessed just fine, I set the Main PC to it too!

Im not sure if I set it to that or not? - Its all my own Network and there is nothing on there thats of any great importance, its just a server PC that is used as a massive datacenter for my house thats all, that keeps backups and junk for the House computers for me and the family.

Cheers guys, its sorted and working now.

Back
Top Bottom