• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 1060 barely faster than my old 960

Soldato
Really? You are running the latest games, max settings, 1080p, with a rock solid 60fps? On a 280x? I dont know what 280x you have, but you are the only person on the planet who has it. I want one!

I said my 280x is running all my games 1080p max settings locked to 60fps and that's over 100 games.

There is a few of the latest games where i would have to drop a couple of settings and turn clocks up on my card, for example when I played the demo for the latest need for speed I had to turn a couple of settings from ultra to high to get a constant 60.

Well tried to help, carry on thinking you need a 1060 for 720p for all I care.

Bye

Associate
Really? You are running the latest games, max settings, 1080p, with a rock solid 60fps? On a 280x? I dont know what 280x you have, but you are the only person on the planet who has it. I want one!

And just because there are 55% more pixels, it doesn't mean a 55% drop in performance. Like I said, real world results are closer to 30%.

For what its worth Im getting a solid 60FPS with a 280X also....

... Since swapping to a Core i5 4590...

It was NOT rock solid in newer titles with the overclocked Pentium G3258

Associate
I have a 1060 and an i3 4130. A CPU a lot weaker than yours. It doesn't bottleneck me (up to a point). I have the highest 1060 score on the Heaven benchmark thread. I get 100fps at 1080 ultra on battlefront and bf4. I know if I had a better CPU I could get more fps, so yes there is a potential bottleneck. Because I run it on a 60hz tv that then becomes the bottleneck.

My CPU is not a problem. Yours isn't either.

Please listen to this guys advice. I'd also agree with the recommendations for a new monitor. Buying a new CPU would be a total waste of money.

Its with vsync off that im getting the results. Games that ran at 80-90fps with vsync off on my 960 are running the same on the 1060. Even though i believe there is something to the bottlenecking thing... im still amazed ive seen next to no improvement in games.

Yes it's a technical CPU bottleneck at that high framerate but why an earth did you want to improve on 80-90fps?

I honestly don't understand this at all. It doesn't seem logical.

Run GTA V with everything at ultra and apply whatever sort of supersampling you can, and the GTX1060 will then fare much, much better than the GTX960. The 720P resolution is what's the issue here, there's nothing wrong with the card or CPU.

80-90fps is your processor ceiling. In order to gain significantly you would have to really get an i7 or else overclock a K model i5 but this would be a total and utter waste to my mind.

Most people aim for a stable, reliable, locked 60fps. Unless you own a 100/120/144hz panel, there's zero benefit to desiring super high framerates.

Unless I'm missing something it seems like you're chasing super high framerates for a reason I can't quite understand?

Look at the 960 scores. These games are starting to push the 960 well below 30fps at 1080. You really think these games will magically play at a solid 60fps if you run them at 720p?

So please. Enough with the "960 will run all games maxed out 60fps at 720p". Trust me. It wont.

Actually on the contrary, looking at those benches and the avg/min framerates for 1080p, 720p being far less demanding - around 60fps, ultra, 720p would be broadly accurate (not every case but most).

The bottleneck in your situation is the CPU but this is a technical bottleneck only - when people talk about bottlenecks around here, it's usually in reference to major throttling that impact on gameplay e.g fast card paired with slow CPU or vice versa, which results in poor performance with sub-standard framerates.

What you're experiencing is closer to trying to ensure your car can go 200km/h even though the speed limit is 100km/h. There's not much logic to it.

Invest in a new monitor or TV and watch your image quality settings soar whilst remaining at the same framerate when the GTX1060 can properly stretch its legs.

Back
Top Bottom